Thread: C5 and turning

C5 and turning

Are there C5's out there that have learned to turn or roll themselves over?

How long did it take you to manage it and can you turn/roll from belly to back?

Thanks,
    Meg

Has he tried a bed ladder?

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Originally posted by Meg:

Are there C5's out there that have learned to turn or roll themselves over?

How long did it take you to manage it and can you turn/roll from belly to back?

Thanks,
    Meg
    im inc c4-5. for me belly to back was easy, but from back to elbows now that sucked(trace triceps) , i still dont like it. im tall 6'2 and have little atrophy in legs, so going from back to side is dam near imposible. i go from back to elbow then roll.
    get him on his elbows, let him get the hang of it from there. babey steps

Thanks for the suggestions, I had not heard of the bed ladder before and can't quite make out how it works from the picture, but I will look into it.

Dennis is also 6'2 about 185. Fuentejps, do you use anything like the bed ladder Emi mentioned or is it your own strength both ways? His PT is focusing on getting him to learn how to turn and he thinks it is a waste of time, he "plays along" but does not think he will ever manage it.

My brother can help turn himself over in bed, he is c5 with damaged shoulders. He uses a hospital bed and can slip his arm under bedrail and pull to turn himself, but needs help at this time with propping leg up to turn. There are bands you can get or make that go around the thigh to help get leg turned, then body will follow, but he's still working on that. The band has a loop to slip hand in and pull with, it is a soft material secured with velcro. He also has a trapeze above his bed, hooks wrists over bar (I padded it with foam pipe insulation) and can lift his upper body up from bed, it helps with dressing and that's how he does his exercise pull-ups in the morning.

Originally posted by Meg:

Thanks for the suggestions, I had not heard of the bed ladder before and can't quite make out how it works from the picture, but I will look into it.

Dennis is also 6'2 about 185. Fuentejps, do you use anything like the bed ladder Emi mentioned or is it your own strength both ways? His PT is focusing on getting him to learn how to turn and he thinks it is a waste of time, he "plays along" but does not think he will ever manage it.
    no no extras. i have a big regular quen size bed. just upper body strength

Sorry, I was in a hurry, I will explain better! I tied the bed ladder to the side of my bed about shoulder height and when I want to turn I hook my arm through a loop and pull myself over much like I did with the rail in a hospital bed. If my legs won't curl p comfortably I slap or gently pinch my side (lol) an they spasm up jut right.

After using the bed ladder or 3 years I can now mnage without it but I'm a C 8.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

can someone send a better link for the bed ladder? Please. Or a site to purchase one.

Bed ladder

Bed Pull Up

Here is a different design:

Bed ladder

(KLD)

We did something similar with a dog leash (don't laugh, now ), but for lateral turning, while my husband was in his TLSO. He was supposed to log roll then, and it really helped me that he could turn his top half while I turned his lower half.

We have one of those big eye screws screwed into a stud on the wall on the side of the bed. The leash is just clipped onto it. He has enough hand strength to just grip it, but I'm sure you could sew loops into one for a quad to put an arm through. He can grab it to turn sideways.

We don't need it much anymore, he only uses it now if he's having trouble turning for some other reason (like being sick).

AB wife of T8 complete para