Thread: Electronic stimulation bike and recovery

Electronic stimulation bike and recovery

Hello everyone,

I am six months post injury and a C5 incomplete. I used an FES bike while down at the Shepherd Center a few times and I have now gained access to one once again. For those of you who have never heard of an FES bike, it is a bike in which electrodes are attached to your quads, hamstrings, and glutes. Each muscle is stimulated at certain times so that your legs actually peddle the bike. You can reduce or raise the amount of stimulus applied to the muscles and then the machine keeps track of the amount of stimulus you're using through a percentage which is displayed on the screen. I am told that most people who use an FES bike have to use high levels of stimulus and the percentage usually goes straight to 100%. The bike is also programed to cut off if the muscles are not reacting strongly enough to the stimulus. With the amount of stimulus that I have been using the percentage of stem being used rarely reaches 100% and usually sits around 85 or 90. If I raise the amount of stimulus this percentage goes down. I usually have no problem with the machine cutting off and most always make it to the 30 minute limit. So my therapist and I are very pleased with how the use of the bike is going. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can share their experiences with this type of equipment and if the experiences have any similarities to my own? I would also like to know if anyone has ever heard of research that has been done using the FES bike that shows substantial recovery has developed because of using the bike on a regular basis? I have slight abductor and abductor movement in both legs and I plan on using the bike at least twice a week. I am hoping and praying that this will increase my chances of further recovery. Any comments about the situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

madcolin-
    i have been riding my stimmaster for over 2 months now. on the good days the stim fluctuates between 25-35ish with the rpms at 48-53. i don't really know what is the norm. i just thought the less stim the bike uses, the more your own muscles are working. i assume this because on my bad days the stim will go all the way up to 100 and i feel like my muscles are in overdrive. the rpms get close to 36 (bike cutting off) so i push my legs until the rpms pick up.
    as far as recovery, i think dr. mcdonald now at john hopkins has studied this but i don't know the results.

nurse donna-
    my insurance paid for my bike. the people at stimmaster sent a packet for me to give the insurance along with a mock letter of medical necessity for my dr. to use.

What insurance do you have?