Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NeuroPulse II - FES

Originally posted by Sh0rty:

Just curious as to what the difference is between the NeuroPulse unit and the actual FES bike itself?? Does one achieve better results?
    A neuropulse is just a stimulator unit. You can stimulate every single paralyzed muscle on your body with it. It does plug into the wall so if your couch or bed is close by, you just lay there and watch tv as it stimulates one muscle group at a time. It doesnt give you cardio, but it does help with circulation and keep muscle tone.

The FES bike is a workout. While it stimulates 3 muscle groups at a time (gluts, hams, and quads) it makes your legs pedal the bike giving you a cardio workout. There are a lot of studies going on with machines like this and one that makes you walk on a treadmill(instead of pedaling a bike) to see if plasticity can happen. The bike isnt capable of stimulating your other paralyzed muscles. It's burning fat thru the cardio. It helps with circulation, muscle tone, and etc...

Each machine has benefits, but they are different in what they can and cant do.

ups attempted to deliver the nuropulse today, but i was at work at that time.
    will have it tomorrow. so the first session might happen tomorrow...

Is this something that can be done at home or do you need a PT to show you how to do it? Can the FES or Stimmaster harm paralyzed muscles?

Hawknest

Originally posted by Hawknest:

Is this something that can be done at home or do you need a PT to show you how to do it? Can the FES or Stimmaster harm paralyzed muscles?

Hawknest
    If you have never used a FES unit, then you need someone (a PT or trained person) to help you get started. You can do it by yourself at your home if you own your on. There would be no sense in driving to a rehab unit every time you wanted to use it if it was yours.

They can harm your muscles if you are stimulating your muscles too high or too much. Scar tissue can develop on that muscle region b/c youre tearing it and destroying it, instead of actually working it out. If you stimulate too much then that's like anyone working out and lifting weights on that same muscle group every single day. That muscle group needs a break every other day.

SWEETIEheart,
    i have got theunit today. care to compare/comment on the manual, to recommend some levels to start with and for later, and to share some of your routine?
    the operator manual's revision is nov 07, 2002.
    - they say that the electrodes wear out in 12-20 uses. what is your experience? are you getting the electrodes from electrologic of america (the manufacturer of the unit) or from somewhere else?
    based on the i would say good quality photos, the positioning of the electrodes should be no problem.
    - abdominal
    time: 15 minutes
    max level: 80mA
    typical level: 25-60mA
    2x ch1 and 2x ch2 electrodes positioned diagonally
    - paraspinal:
    typical level: 25-50mA
    2x ch1 and 2x ch2 electrodes positioned diagonally
    - quadicep
    2 electrodes on top one closer to the knee, the other closer to the hip
    - hamstring
    electrodes like for qudicep, but under
    - gluteus
    typical level: 20-50mA
    2x ch1 on one cheek, 2x ch2 on other
    - anterior tibialis (used for drop foot)
    max level: 50mA
    typical level: 15-35mA
    electrodes roughly at 1/2 and 2/3 between foot and knee, halfsideways
    - gastrox (calf)
    electrodes roughly at 1/2 and 2/3 between foot and knee, back
    - diabetic foot (increase circulation, used as blood pump - probably not a good thing if you had a pumonary embolism)
    4x 2 electrodes, spaced equidistantly between the foot and knee. ch1 are the bottom ones, then ch2, ch3 and ch4 are the 2 closest to the knee
    than there are different combinations. i can type them in if someone is interested to see them.
    thanks,
    zz

zz,
    I'm just browsing thru threads I've posted on while standing in standing frame. I dont know my rates off the top of my head, but I'll try to remember to write them down sometime this weekend. Also, I'm not sure what MA stands for in your piece. I might need to break back out my owners manual so I use the correct terminology when reporting back to you.

I can tell you that all my programs came set for the workout time of 15min and I changed that to the full 60min.

I use the electrodes sent with my stimulator from Electrologic of America. I've got far more use out of my than 20 sessions. I try to not apply the electrodes on areas of my skin that I might have put lotion on earlier in the day. I'll wash that area off and then use their alcohol wipes they sent. This way the electrodes wont lose their stickiness too quickly. If I had to guess how long I use my electrodes, I couldnt even tell you with a # of sessions. I do about 2 muscles groups per day (i.e. gluts and hams one day). I'm going to say I'll have those same electrodes for almost 2months as long as they stay pretty much sticky. I havent had to buy anymore electrodes since I bought my machine. They sent me electrodes with my stimulator and my StimMaster. That's been 3.5-4 years ago.

Originally posted by SWEETIEheart:

Also, I'm not sure what MA stands for in your piece.
    A is for Ampere, the unit for electric current.
    m is for mili
    1 mA is 0.001 A
    changing the current the current you vary stimming intensity, or level in neuropusle terminology.

I can tell you that all my programs came set for the workout time of 15min and I changed that to the full 60min.
    looks like one can change the levels and the time. also, with this version, you can save at least the level, so you don't have to (re)set it every time.

I use the electrodes sent with my stimulator from Electrologic of America. I've got far more use out of my than 20 sessions. I try to not apply the electrodes on areas of my skin that I might have put lotion on earlier in the day. I'll wash that area off and then use their alcohol wipes they sent. This way the electrodes wont lose their stickiness too quickly. If I had to guess how long I use my electrodes, I couldnt even tell you with a # of sessions. I do about 2 muscles groups per day (i.e. gluts and hams one day). I'm going to say I'll have those same electrodes for almost 2months as long as they stay pretty much sticky.
    i have got 4 pairs. should last for some time. will get couple more. when needed.

A little tip on extending the life of the electrodes...before you put them back on the plastic sheets after use, moisten them with water first. I just dip my fingers in some water then rub lightly on the surface,then place back inside of the bag. keeping them hydrated will add prolly 35% to their life.

DIGG.

Digger,

Originally posted by DIGGER:

A little tip on extending the life of the electrodes...before you put them back on the plastic sheets after use, moisten them with water first. I just dip my fingers in some water then rub lightly on the surface,then place back inside of the bag. keeping them hydrated will add prolly 35% to their life.

DIGG.
    thanks for the tip!
    started doing this regularly, and those electrodes do look better.
    zz

Hi, does moistening the pads just make the pads sticky for longer?

Thanks,

Rob