Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NeuroPulse II - FES

NeuroPulse II - FES

i am thinking about getting one. can you share your experience or opinion about it?
    i have no previous experience with a fes. i am a T6 para.
    thanks,
    zz

Ok my fes stim unit is made by the same company that makes the Neuropulse. I bought the model that was out right before they changed the name to "neuropulse". I love love love mine! I use it every single day on different muscle groups. I cant find a single negative to say about it that's of top concern.
    My favorite setting to do is having the electrodes around the area at my knee caps. When these muscles are stimulate it makes my foot point backwards toward my body. Not pointing like I'm standing on my toes like a ballerina, but in the opposite direction. It really works out that muscle so no tightness or drop foot in ever in my future if I keep it up along with stretching.
    My legs or the muscle group I stimulate is all warm when I get through. I can tell the blood is really pumping there and the muscles are warm from being worked out. I have some sensation even though for some reason I'm labeled complete (a whole other story b/c i need to be re-evaluated since I havent been since first days of injury)...so anyhow I feel how tight and burning as if I just took a nice long jog or pumped some iron doing leg exercises when I get thru using the machine.

Ok I could ramble for days on how I like it and all the stuff I can do with it, but I think you get the picture.
    I'm also a T6 para

SWEETIEhart,
    i have ordered one, and i should have it sometimes next week.
    how did you learn to use it? is there some user manual coming with it? (one that covers more than turning the unit on and off.)
    can you give me some detailed description how to use it? like setting, time, wehre to put the electrodes, and whatever you think might be useful for a beginner. or, should i try to find a pt, or a rehab doctor who have used a fes? again, where i have been for rehab, there was no fes equipment. thanks!
    zz

how much was it and how did you order it, did you need a rx or anything? I have also been thinking of getting a fes unit.

Thanks

Originally posted by zz:

SWEETIEhart,
    i have ordered one, and i should have it sometimes next week.
    how did you learn to use it? is there some user manual coming with it? (one that covers more than turning the unit on and off.)
    can you give me some detailed description how to use it? like setting, time, wehre to put the electrodes, and whatever you think might be useful for a beginner. or, should i try to find a pt, or a rehab doctor who have used a fes? again, where i have been for rehab, there was no fes equipment. thanks!
    zz
    I ordered my stim unit and my stimmaster (fes bike) through that same company. Both pieces came with an owners manual. I'm positive the stimmaster came with a video, but I cant remember if the stim unit came with a user video or not.

The owners manual has pictures in it of where to stick electrodes and how the wires should go. The problem I found with it is the pictures arent labeled to tell the exact name of muscle group they are trying to show. They sent me a sheet that tells numbers of preprogramed setups for muscle groups and some I was unsure of. So youre looking at the preprogramed stimulating exercises and the pics and youre not sure if one goes with the other or not. Encyclopedias came in handy b/c I didnt want to screw up my muscles or bones by doing anything wrong. **A big warning**the pre programed settings have a strong "stimulating" number set on them. I would NOT stimulate my muscles at that number. You could tear your muscles up and cause scar tissue to form on top of the muscles. In all actuality, youre doing more damage than good and not even realizing it!

The book does not tell what are appropriate settings or what would be good for a beginner or anything like that. I suppose it doesnt do that b/c so many type of people with neruomuscular disorders use the machine, and no one setting would work for every single person.
    For example there is even a setting for a diabetic foot. Now there's one the book doesnt have pictures for how to put the electrodes, and well I'm not diabetic nor do I stimulate my foot so I never called the company to ask about it.

If you went to a rehab with a well informed PT that has one of the units in the rehab, they would probably be very helpful. If they have another type of unit such as one that runs off a battery and doesnt have as many settings, they wouldnt have a clue. I prefer to learn on my own and talking directly to the company.

B/c my fes doesnt look exactly like the neuropulse(mine is an older model), I'm not sure if you would understand my descriptions yet until you had one in front of you to compare and contrast with what I'm describing. But, if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help as much as I can.

[This message was edited by SWEETIEheart on 01-15-05 at 01:11 AM.]

Originally posted by js:

how much was it and how did you order it, did you need a rx or anything? I have also been thinking of getting a fes unit.

Thanks
    The one I ordered thru the Electrologic of America, Inc. company cost b/t $2500 and 3k. BUT there are tons of other kinds. If you browse around on Care/Cure site there are some other ones listed for $100. The difference is the level they are able to stimulate at.

I had to have a Rx for mine. If you bought one of the $100 ones most of them you can buy without a Rx. Do you remember several years ago when an "As Seen on TV" product was a belt looking thing and you strapped it on and it had devices in it that would stimulate your abs? That is a type of stimulation but it's for any and everybody. It cant stimulate at the strength needed for paralyzed muscles. Normal/able people or even above your level of injury couldnt withstand the FES unit (neuropulse) that is being discussed here unless all the settings were set on the lowest thing possible. I've done that on some of my friends b/c they wanted to know what it did, what it felt like, and etc... You gotta be careful with it even if it's on the muscles that are paralyzed.

Ok, sorry I went off on a tangent, but back to your questions.

I ordered it over the phone. I saw their ads in my New Mobility magazine and that was how I made contact with them. I saw some of the lower performing units at my rehab so I was really interested and persued looking further into them myself. My insurance wouldnt pay for one for anything. That's another going off on a tangent since they dont think this stuff is a necessity. It will be you paying out of your own pocket so get something in your budget and even if it is the $100 one..it is doing some stimulating and it's better than nothing in my opinion. Making those muscles contract is so huge physically with benefits but psychologically a postive thing too.

SWEETIEheart,
    thanks!
    i should have it next week. will be back with further questions then. i definitely don't want to do more harm...

js,
    i have got it from
    http://www.med1online.com
    go to their specials:
    http://www.med1online.com/E_store/pr...htype=specials
    the price is just below $1500
    no rx, just a phone call. talk to Mikelle.
    (or order it online)

Wow, good find ZZ, for $1495.00 that is a great deal. I use to sell Neuropulse units (the 1's) for $3595.00 directly through the company. For $1495.00 you cant go wrong.

Great advice Sweetieheart. Glad to hear there are others realizing the benefits of FES and ES.

SWEETIEheart,

Originally posted by SWEETIEheart:

But, if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help as much as I can.
    i haven't got my fes yet, but i it is never to early to start learning...
    what positions are you when using the fes? say on your side in the bed, or sitting in the chair, etc.? probably depends what are you stimming, right?
    also, how long and now often do you stim? is that also muscle dependent?
    thanks,
    zz

Just curious as to what the difference is between the NeuroPulse unit and the actual FES bike itself?? Does one achieve better results?