Thread: Abdominal and back exercises

Abdominal and back exercises

Hi, my 20 yr old niece, Erin, was paralyzed in a car accident this past April. She has been doing therapy a few times a week at a facility in Pittsburgh, but will not be going during the winter months. With the help of her mom she will be doing all of her exercises at their house.
    We are trying to find the best ab and back exercises for her that she can do from her bed or wheelchair. She is a quad with fairly good movement in her shoulders.
    Thank you for any help you can offer.

This will sound extraordinarily simplistic, so you may want to try it yourself first to see how difficult it really is for an able bodied person. Sit down on the floor with your legs extended in front of you. Try supporting yourself with and without your hands. Now try sitting legs extended pushing your back against a straight wall, with/without using your hands, without using your hands is best. Spending time watching TV and fighting to stay in this position can really strengthen your trunk. Try lifting wrist weights, a variety of directions sitting on the floor. Sitting and throwing a rubber ball and later different sizes of medicine balls in this position also greatly improves balance. After you can catch well straight on, try catching one thrown a little to the left or right~ eventually my son could right himself without falling after catching a wild ball. Each time you push off the floor back into the sitting position you use muscles not used in the chair. We tried to work both sides equally.
    The chair
    cups
    and supports, but these exercises can help activate back muscles to improve posture and balance. My son is a C6-07 Asia A and his head leaned right. He easily gets himself back into the chair from the floor now, has no lean and most think he is a para until they shake his hand. At that time, he would move to the couch, then to pillows stacked a little closer to the floor and then to the floor with great assistance. These are time consuming exercises, but the changes in ability and independence are incredible! This is not about exercise, but about increased function that becomes its own exercise! We always made a game of it, but it became a serious game as he really improved from it. These can be done at home when the weather makes it difficult to go out.
    Good Luck!

I have a c7 and c8 complet sci.

Is it possible to do FES for abdominal and back muscles?

A good EMS machine may help with the abdominal muscles and that can be used in bed. I have purchased equipment from sporting goods stores such as Big 5 and sometimes I have tried the products in the store to see if I can use them at home. Other times, I have taken the equipment home with me to see if it would work. If not, just return and get your money back. Sometimes you have to be creative with straps/Velcro if gripping or holding is a problem. I have also contacted a physical therapist to do a home visit to help with ideas and suggestions. Good luck!

PN

Do I have to buy a EMS machine with my own money?

I think you will have to purchase the machine. However, you may find a clinic that uses these machines and they will charge you per session.

PN