0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • 0 0%

Thread: Wheel chair ICC

jinks

Wheel chair ICC

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am T6 complete. I am a lady who met with an accident 16 months back and became paraplegic.
    Recently I started going back to office after 16 months.One of the
    problems I face is I am not able to do ICC on a wheelchair on my own.
    May be I am not in the right posture when I am doing ICC. I need an attender's help to hold my legs to do ICC on the whl chair.
    I ask her to keep both the legs on top of a chair and separate the legs.
    Even in the rehab centre they couldn't give me a better way of doing it. I am very comfortable doing it on the bed. Pls guide me and suggest some better way of doing ICC without anybody's help on a whl chair.

Thx

Hey,
    As aT6 you should be able to learn to do this. For me, the main obstacle is getting my pants up and down! Anyhow, the steps I was taught in rehab are:
    1) Wheel up to a toilet or chair
    2) After taking your pants down put one or both legs up on the edge of the toilet so that your feet are on the edge. Having good grip on your shoes helps!
    3) Scootch your butt to the edge of the chair,, I do this by wiggling forward one cheek at a time. To make sure your cushion doesn't slide too put velcro on the bottom.
    4) Your legs should now spread apart on their own.
    5) I then hang a urinal from a strap on the front of my cushion, you should be able to rig something up!
    6) Then, you know what to do from here!

Good luck!

Emi has given you great advice. If you are able to do this near the toilet, there is catheter extension tubing available to attach to the end of your catheter. Then you would just have to put the end of the tubing over the seat of the toilet and it would drain in. You wouldn't need to mess with the urinal part. Mentor is one source of the extension tubing, product #475. You would of course have to wash it thoroughly afterwards. You could also rig extension tubing using the tubing from a leg bag. Depending on what kind of bathroom you have available at work, and your ability to transfer and keep your balance, you could try to straddle the toilet and use a short catheter to drain your bladder right into the toilet. (EMK)

jinks

whl chair ICC

I tried keeping the legs on the two sides of the toilet but they don't remain there due to spasm. I can't tie them to any surface also coz of the fear of getting a sore. WHat shall I do? Pls help.

Spasms Preventing Female Intermittent Self-Cathing

Like yours, my spasms prevented me from simply rolling up to the toilet and self-cathing at work. In fact, I had to have someone lean their entire weight on me to hold my legs open even while cathing on the bed. Is this the only situation in which your spasticity is causing you problems? Are you currently on any medication to control your spasticity? After almost two years of trying large amounts and a variety of oral spasticity meds, I finally got a Medtronics baclofen pump implanted -- my number one goal being to be able to self-cath into a toilet.

wheelchair ICC

Dear Doll,
    I find the easiest way to cath is transferring to the toilet and using a short cath like the SCI nurse mentioned below.Is this something you think you can do?

LMG

jinks
    HI again...I can do ICC when I am on bed on my own. Then spasticity is not a problem but when I am on a wheel chair and I hv to keep the legs apart and over a chair or something, spasticity becomes a problem. I am taking baclofen 10 mg per day to reduce this.

Originally posted by doll:

HI again...I can do ICC when I am on bed on my own. Then spasticity is not a problem but when I am on a wheel chair and I hv to keep the legs apart and over a chair or something, spasticity becomes a problem. I am taking baclofen 10 mg per day to reduce this.
    It may be the angle of your hips that cause the spasm...I know my egs spasm if my hips arent basically 90 degree's....
    10 mg of baclofen is not much, maybe talk to your doctor abut increasing it...

When I was in rehab, they gave me a device that spread my legs apart;it was shaped and padded on each side where it made contact with the legs so that sores would not be a problem. It was given for me to use when I sat on the toilet to cath to keep my legs apart. SCI nurse, are you familiar with this device and might it help Doll?

Spasticity

If your adductor spasticity is preventing you from doing your caths, you should discuss different ways to manage this medically with your SCI physician. You should also talk with your PT about increasing your ROM and stretching to the adductor muscles to allow you to position your legs better for cathing.

It is important to learn how to do this in your chair without the toilet too. You may not be able to get into a toilet area, yet still need to cath in a friends bedroom, in the back of a van, etc. etc. Propping your foot on the toilet usually works, but if it slips, you can end up with a wet foot. I generally teach my patients to prop their heel on a stool or if you use a calf strap on your wheelchair, this is a good place to put the sole of your foot. Try propping just one leg or both. Some do better with just one leg.

Drainage can be done by hooking a leg bag to the end of your catheter. You don't have to worry about spilling a urinal, and it can be carried to a emptying place (or flower bed in a pinch!) easier than a urinal.

(KLD)