Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: biking

foogirl great news on your handcycle.
    mie c , i notice a side effect from ultram for pain is it helps with the bowels too, i should try the immodioun

ez3 and a traditional old folks criuser which my dog rides too. in answer to a earlyer question yes, cauda equina. my tail bone was crushed and pelvic ligaments torn. also crushed vert at L5s1.

so its the biken made my butt go into overdrive???!! I thought it was the new mexican place next door to the gym.

I take my sticks along. bungee chords. or a crutch holder. also, my braces dont get in the way. and keep my ankles stable. i use velcro tie straps to hold my feet on the pedals. one leg does most of the work.

maybe the biking does increase the movement of the stools through the intestines..
    the nice things about recumbent bike/trikes is they put the feet forward and not in the dependent position , probably help pump the edema out.

i find that clipless pedals work much better than regular pedals for me. i was using a new bike yesterday that had regular pedals , and my weak foot kept falling off . since i have enough movement from my upper leg/knee to twist the foot sideways over 20 degrees the springless clipless pedals work great for me.
    it took me a while before i could go to the clipless, but the pulling motion from the hamstring muscle is utilized.
    i ride recumbent bike without pain now.

I have an EZ-3 Trike and it has been great! Besides the freedom and getting back onto a bicycle (trike), it has helped my leg strength. I can lift more weight on the leg press weightlifting machine. (I am an L1/L2; currently use a wheelchair (primary) and walker/leg braces (secondary). I do not wear the braces while riding and use shoes that lock into onto the pedals to avoid having my feet slip off pedals.

Metro...I just started a new exercize pgm at local gym w/ a former PT, now personal trainer. He got me on a recumbant stationary bike for cardio and leg work. I've had an upright stationary for long time but haven't been able to use it since getting hurt.

I'm in heaven using the recumbant/stationary bike at the gym because I can pump till I drop with no pain!!! Now I'm all excited about getting a recumbant trike or maybe even a 2 wheeler. If I can start w/ training wheels on a 2 wheel recumbant...I know I can get them off quickly.

Can you recommend some recumbant trikes and bikes and/or direct me to some good websites?

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

Great to hear that bikes and trikes are being used as a means of getting around! Top End is a brand that has a wide range of options! One model even has a hand pedal and foot pedal. You can switch when fatique sets in!

hi kap,
    the best trike for the money nowadays is the ez racer models, they are in the 700 price range
    trikes go up to many thousands.
    the ez line is high so you have visibility, and they can see you.
    they can be found used , but shipping can be very expensive since they are big, and than you need to assembly.
    ez-3 trike

Does anyone know of a trike with hand and foot pedals?

Rand