Thread: Hanging myself

Hanging myself

Hello,
    I have both knees and hips retractions (no bones obstacles). I'm thinking about hanging myself by the feet. Check this and please tell what you think... Any advices?...
    Thanks
    George

I you have contractures in your hips and knees, you need to get vigorous range of motion to get them stretched out. Even using just range, there is a risk of tendon or muscle tears or even fractures. Hanging your entire body weight from your legs could cause similar injuries....much less the safety of trying to get on and off this device (which can tip very easily).

Have you tried laying prone (on your stomach) with weights on your ankles?

(KLD)

Hello, George,
    I don't know what level of injury you have, but I do know that hanging upside down makes an AB dizzy! I know this first hand!
    Be careful,
    Cathy J

Before my injury I used these anti-gravity boots to hang upside down every day. I started in college and continued to do this during and after graduate school. Two years ago a friend of mine brought over a brand new inversion bed which I did try in my living room. In fewer than five minutes, I knew that this was not going to work out. It was difficult to get in the inversion bed and I did not feel safe doing this transfer. I realize that you can control the bed and never have to take it to a 90% incline. I would suggest that you be very careful doing this inversion "therapy".

PN

I always wonder if hanging upside down would help my back.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Am I the only who thought a call to 911 was in order???
    George, tradition in this country has always involved a noose around the neck for reasons someone with a more formal medical background could explain - but hey good luck to you for thinking outside the box buddy!!
    (Tounge firmly planted in cheek)

I've been seeing a chiropractor (w/ an excellent neuro background) since December. I have a lot of constant lower back pain, and he said that inverting myself in this fashion, even a few minutes per day, would definitely help. Sitting all day w/ no muscular support puts a lot of stress on the spine, and in many cases causes compression. I want to try this sometime to help decompress my lumbar vertebrae. I haven't seen any easy ways to do it though... like Paul said, those tables look really tough to transfer onto.

I really believe it'd help my back.

I went to Fitness Resource and tried one. I think it was hard getting on it as AB. It was out of balance and it flipped me totally back...you can control with your arms but the table has to be perfect. I cannot see how anyone could transfer independently safely. I do not disagree that moderate incline and traction can be helpful, but not for contractures. There needs to be a safer device concocted.

I spent time in the store imagining getting Scott on one, because I know him, and I could not see how I could do it.

Originally posted by 1FINE RN:

I spent time in the store imagining getting Scott on one, because I know him, and I could not see how I could do it.
    sounds like Mary has introduced a new challenge...

Originally posted by scott pruett:

Originally posted by 1FINE RN:
    sounds like Mary has introduced a new challenge...
    Name the time and place...lets sell tickets..when I flipped my shirt was not tucked in....LOL