Thread: PT Making Me Sick?

PT Making Me Sick?

I started PT again about 2 weeks ago. After my sessions last week and again today, I got sick. Felt light-headed, weak, dead tired. I'm not really sure how to explain it, I just feel horrible!! After PT today we made a quick stop at a small store. I used my crutches there and by the time I got back in the car I was just about in tears. Right now it feels like it takes everything I have to move even one muscle in my body.

I honestly don't do too much at PT. A few stretches, trunk stabilzation exercises, leg presses on the machine, lunges at the parallel bars. I exercise for less than an hour!

Why do I feel like I just ran 10 miles on no sleep and no food? Could the little bit I do be too much for me right now? I just can't believe my body can't handle that! What can I do to keep from feeling like this? I did more than this when I was in rehab!!!

Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad
    Aug '03

Tina
    How long has it been between your therapy now and when you last did it?
    I get really tired really fast now but thats because I didnt do that much during my break between therapy sessions. It has been getting easier every time I go. Just stick with it and battle through the bad days. Good luck.

JJ

My last PT ended in the beginning of March, but in between PT I still went to the rehab center and used their machines to work out. So it's not like I didn't do anything in that time. In fact, I was working out 5 times a week for quite a while there and never felt like this afterwards!

Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad
    Aug '03

I think it is normal after a break. Just keep on and you will feel better after a while. I think it is important that you do a lot of excersing now. You don't know how far you can make it yet.

Good luck.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.

Tina, you might find this link interesting.SCI Tired

I also don't understand why my physical strength seems to go up and down.

Mike

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003

TinaMarie,
    If this continues or worsens..perhaps you should have a checkup.
    Perhaps your BP is fluctuating..or your sugar levels to extremes..or even a deficiency in
    your diet.

Hope it resolves..and you can continue to
    have physical training and enjoy it. This doesn't sound like any fun at all.

Even if you are a minority of one...the truth is still the truth. Ghandi.

Thanks everyone!! I went to PT on Weds. and talked to my therapist about it. I took Lindox's advice into consideration and we checked my bp regularly. It stayed the same, but I did cut back on how much I did. I was tired afterwards, but not sick like I was before.

My PT thinks its my diet. It more than likely is. For the last 4 years I've only eaten once a day or so. It's just become a habit over the years and I usually only get hungry once a day. She has been bugging me for months to eat better, but it never caused me problems until now. So tomorrow before I go to PT I'm going to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (good source of protein, carbs, and a little sugar)and see how I feel after I do my normal workout. Hopefully that will do it and I'll be ok. If not I'll make a drs appt and see if he can find anything. (In the meantime I am trying to eat more regularly...eating small meals and a lot of fruits and salads so I don't turn into a blimp!)

Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad
    Aug '03

Timing is critical. My blood pressure goes down after I eat. Also after bowel care (unless it goes up). Drink plenty of fluids, this also keeps your blood pressure up.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

"For the last 4 years I've only eaten once a day or so. It's just become a habit over the years and I usually only get hungry once a day."

very bad dietary habit, even worse with sci and bowel problems. i don't think it is possible to get all your day's minimal nutrition in one meal of the type you probably eat.

"So tomorrow before I go to PT I'm going to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (good source of protein, carbs, and a little sugar)"

not such a good idea, between the fast digesting sugars in the bread and almost pure sugar in the jelly, a meal like this will set you up for a low sugar fatigue crash shortly thereafter.

better to eat some combo of veggies/protein/fat longer before you exercise. a simple yogurt may be even better than the jelly/bread. peanut butter isn't bad, just combine it differently

Hey Crags,

Thanks for the reply. I know I don't eat healthy. It's never really affected me until now and since I'm determined to get as much return as possible, I will start eating better!!

My pt said a pb&j sandwich would be good to eat, that's why I decided to try that. She also mentioned peanut butter crackers. I didn't read your post until after I ate the sandwich, unfortunately. I'll see how things go today, but will try to eat something better next week.

My problem is that I absolutely HATE food and eating. I know most people enjoy it, but I really don't. I'm a very picky eater, also. I've never had to eat "nutritiously" (sp?) so I don't know what the best things are to eat and not sure how long before I exercise to eat. (Pathetic, huh?) I think it may be a good idea for me to see a dietician to help me set up a healthy diet to make sure I eat all the right things. Ill call my dr on Monday.

I'm not going to let food stand in the way of my recovery.

Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad
    Aug '03