Thread: Para Belly

Para Belly

I'm 20 months post and can't seem to get rid of this big belly. I had a bed sore and they made me eat alot of protein and drink a protein mixture, since then I've tried to watch my diet is there an exercise I can do.

Back to work finally

Fitness Quest Ab Lounge II.

I do 1000 mini crunches a day. How much ab control do you have? I'm T5, I started with nothing. I can do regular crunches now, but not sit yet. It's coming...

Go man go

Let's hear it for the Para Bellies! - oh no wait a minute, that's not a good thing. I know cuz I sure am cultivating my own
    Searched for 3 months for a used, finally bought a Top End handcycle. This will be hard for me as I HATE anything with wheels and no engine - catch my drift?? But I had to figure a way to burn calories sted of sitting on my derriere all day.

It's all about the diet dude.
    I am a t5 complete/hell maybe incomplete
    I have no real functin of my abs
    yet if i sit in the wheel chari you can visible see a 6 pack....

So it's not really the muscles working it's teh fat layer.

I've got the quad belly even though the muscles are working now. I think I read on another post that's it caused by a weak abdominal wall and your internal organs aren't held in right. Something like that. I have been doing crunches for about 6 months and now am doing other trunk exercises. I can see a little bit of a difference, but not much. My dr and PT keep telling me that those exercises are what's going to get it back in shape, but this sure is taking forever!!! I had an awesome body (at least awesome for a 30 yr old with 3 kids) before the SCI and am obsessed with getting rid of that pooch now!! If anyone finds anything that really works, I'd love to hear it and if I find something, I will definitely share it!!

Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad
    Aug '03

it's nothing more than a matter of muscle tone. if when you lay flat on your back and your belly is flat, then you are not fat, and belly flab is NOT the problem. you can diet or even starve, but the organs inside are going to push on your weak abdominals and your belly will stick out. you can handbike all you want, but it doesn't work out your abs. if before your injury you never flexed your abs, the same thing would have happened to your belly.

if you have some control of your abs, flex them and that will help by building muscle tone. if you can't control them, get an ab binder. only 2 choices: build muscle tone, or hold it in with something else. sorry...

"Today I will do what others won't, so that tomorrow I can do what others can't."

Originally posted by Varian:

It's all about the diet dude.
    I am a t5 complete/hell maybe incomplete
    I have no real functin of my abs
    yet if i sit in the wheel chari you can visible see a 6 pack....

So it's not really the muscles working it's teh fat layer.
    Varian,

Remember, you are a recent injury. So most likely if you had a 6-pack before you injury (as did I before mine), you will not see a para/quad gut for a while.

I'm 18 years post and have a slight one. But it took many years before I aquired what I have now.

-ResonantEcho

Visit me and sign my guestbook at www.kevs-korner.net

Eric-

I've thought about getting the AB Lounge (even long before my accident), does it really work that well? It looks like it would be ideal for me & I've been wanting to try it. All your opinions on it are very much appreciated. I've lost a lot of weight since my accident, but I want to get into better shape & conventional crunches have never been easy on my neck & back. Thanks in advance for any & all opinions!

'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03