Thread: Pool Lift and Back Yard Access

Pool Lift and Back Yard Access

I am looking to install an inground pool and need advice on accessibility items. I am thinking of a pool lift since this is what I use at rehab but cant find any for less than $3300 (ouch). I am T-8 complete so I dont think I can use a sling type. Anybody know of any good sites that sell them? Or can anyone tell me how they access a pool.

Also, I need access to my back yard. The hill slopes at about 45 degrees for a short period. Any thoughts other than a mortorized chair?

Thanks
    JMD

Can you do a wheelchair to floor transfer? Have you been taught how to do this? Most people at your level of injury can do this in steps. You can use a stool, that is lower than your wheelchair to transfer onto (forward), then lower yourself onto the pool side, then onto the pool steps (do you have concrete steps or only a ladder?). Coming out of the pool is the opposite. It does require good arm strength.

A Hoyer pool lift is cheaper, but would require assistance. The powered ones you can operate yourself are expensive. You might want to look for one used, either through a dealer or on eBay.

It would help to have more information about he slope you are talking about. How high is the rise? Digital photos? Depending on what you are dealing with, a switch-back ramp might be appropriate. They can be landscaped very nicely.

(KLD)

I use the Elkhorn lift from Spectrum Pool products. Have it on my boat, pool and Spa.Have had them for 7 years. Keep it simple whatever you do.

One therapy pool my husband went to had a ramp down one side so you could roll into the pool

Thanks for the replys everyone. I can't do steps and a floor transfer is very difficult. I am T-8 complete with ver poor balance. I do have very good arm strenght.

Duke I am wondering how I could use this "sling" type lift. I use a transfer board now. How do you transfer into and out of a sling? Or do you lift up in your chair and someone slides it under you? I assume you don't use a transfer board with this.
    Originally posted by Duke234:

I use the Elkhorn lift from Spectrum Pool products.
    Nurse... I want to avoid any ramps...mainly due to the cost. But my options seem very limited <sigh>

I either put the sling on the wheelchair and transfer from the bed on to it, or lift up and someone slides it under me. The thing I like is that it is manual and doesn't need, water, electricity or batteries.

Here's my pool setup. I have a cable winch mounted up on the celing connected to a sling.

http://homepage.mac.com/bradd/PhotoAlbum14.html

Brad, Can you tell me what kind of cable winch that is (make/model). Where can I get one? Also, what type of lawn mower do you use? Is it completely operable with your arms/hands?

Thanks

JMD

Originally posted by Brad_D:

Here's my pool setup. I have a cable winch mounted up on the celing connected to a sling.

Brad, Can you tell me what kind of cable winch that is (make/model). Where can I get one? Also, what type of lawn mower do you use? Is it completely operable with your arms/hands?
    I don't have the modle or make, but it is just a regular wire winch that I got at Tractor Supply. About $100. You could probably find one at Home Depot or a truck supply.

The Tractor is a Snapper Zrider. It is controled by a joystick which comes standard.

http://www.snapper.com/pro_cruiser.html#

Got old wheelchair, put ramp in pool. If Gunite pool no problem to do ramp.I found after my pool was in they could have put ramp in from deep to shallow. And would mark ramp with tile to give edge of ramp. Also look into "0" Zero depth design, from deep 8'? to "0" depth, like the beach.