Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Program for walkers at PW

Program for walkers at PW

Has anyone checked this out? It is for people like me, who can walk but suck at it.PW finishing school

Here's the clip...
    "The objective of this program is to provide advanced physical and functional gait training for those with SCI who are moving their legs and are able to walk with or without adaptive aids. Entry qualifications are a safe bone density for a high performance training program and the desire to improve.

Our Functional Gait Performance Programâ„¢ is about education and workout design. Our goal is to teach each client the tools necessary to improve on their own. This allows out-of-town clients to return home and continue their progress without disrupting their lives.

Our "Finishing School" (as we like to call it) was created out of demand. While there are some individuals post-SCI who have come in to our center with almost perfect gaits, others compensate so much that walking long distance isn't an option! We have determined that the difference is not due to the level of injury, but how these people were trained and what was expected of them. The gait is not predetermined but developed through the stimulation received. Over time, just as with any person, compensation leads to loss of function. It is not only an SCI problem, but a normal response to an inefficient gait pattern. Correcting this compensation isn't easy, but with the right stimulation, workout program and client determination, improvement can happen. At Project Walkâ„¢ we believe that progress only stops when the client is satisfied with his or her results."
    From the Project Walk website.

So what's the downside? $1650/wk for that trial period, good gawd. Even if I invited myself to stay on Jesse and Buckwheat's couch, that's a big chunk of change. What does everyone think?

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

Beth , i reckon go for it ..13 years of incorrect gait is slowly but relentlessly pushing my towards a wheelchair . whenever my SCI Doc [ had him for 13 years too ] sees me he says ''another 2 years and you will probably need to get a chair '' . i think the rotten bugger [ he is a good mate of mine ] says that because he knows i will do my best to prove him wrong . but after so long with incorrect gait i am having a lot of trouble correcting it and i can feel the damage it is doing . in my rehab days if you walked out on discharge not much correctness of gait was considered . besides , Jesse and Buckwheat probably need someone to take control of their apartment and social lives !
    thank you ,
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

It sounds nice. Expensive, but I think I would go for it if I had the possibility.

Nobody has ever told me how to walk right so I have been compensating and overusing my muscles all the time. And after a while it will cause you a lot of pain and later maybe loss of function

I am a client at PW. The $1650 may sound exspensive but you get every pennys worth. By the end of the trial week your ass is usually pretty beat and if your not then I guess your just on a higher physical level then most human beings. I was toasted after my trial week.

what I don't understand is how they could get my gait back to normal when I can't walk on my toes. they are curved down, I have to walk on my heel,s and it hurt's very badly to do it. I just don't understand how they would do it?
    Duge

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Don't be negative, duge. Call them and ask if they can help you

Originally posted by duge:

what I don't understand is how they could get my gait back to normal when I can't walk on my toes. they are curved down, I have to walk on my heel,s and it hurt's very badly to do it. I just don't understand how they would do it?
    Duge

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02
    [This message was edited by beelady on 04-28-04 at 01:47 PM.]

Originally posted by beelady:

Originally posted by duge:
    Duge

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02
    ...and that is probably why they charge $1600, they are trained in things we dont understand. That is why I dont question it anymore about Jesse getting the strength and recovery that he is. I just write out the check and thank God that he can be at PW. I just wish that more people could be there, too.

Beth, you are coming to party with us?

Originally posted by Jessecj7:

Beth, you are coming to party with us?
    There you go Beth. Sounds like an invite to me. Now, lets see..how can we get the funds for you to get there, be there at PW, and keep up with Jesses party life?