Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for wheelchair gloves

Suggestions for wheelchair gloves

I want to start going outside and getting some exercise in my chair. I'm looking for some suggestions for gloves to wear. Thanks.

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003

Try this place Harness gloves

........You need people like me so you can point your
    fxxxing fingers, and say "that's the bad guy." So, what dat make you? Good? You're not good; you just know how to hide......... Scarface

Originally posted by MikeC:

I want to start going outside and getting some exercise in my chair. I'm looking for some suggestions for gloves to wear. Thanks.

I use normally bicycle gloves, without fingers and with leader and padding inside. They are expencive but worth the money.

I wear gloves all the time when I'm out, not just when I'm exercising, but I use fingerless bicycle gloves with gel padded palms. You should be able to find them at a bicycle shop.

I'm not deaf...I'm just ignoring you!

I meticulously sew goat skin on the palm of fingerless weight lifter's glove with wrist support. It is a tedious and time consuming process but well worth the labor.

I don't know who makes them, but I'm using the gloves they gave me at the rehab center. They are fingerless, and have a thick lether palm. Works great when going down hills for friction braking.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Sportaid carries a variety of gloves. There is a link to a proper sizing chart near the top of the page.

Sportaid

I am a c6 and use the fingerless Hatch Wheelchair Gloves for everyday use. They are easy to put on and are soft and flexible enough that I don't need to take them off every time I need to use my hands. I use the fingerless Hatch Wheelchair Gloves Topy Palms for exercise when I need a stronger push/better grip.

I also have a pair of quad cuffs from Harness Designs that (similar to the Hatch Quad Cuff Gloves on the Sportaid page). They are good for pushing and very easy to put on but they are so stiff that I cannot do anything else with them on, not even a wheelchair pushup for pressure relief.

Hubby uses bikers Harley Davidson fingerless gloves with gel inserts...

Thanks for everyone's response. Now for the dumb question - why are fingerless gloves so popular? My fingers have little cuts on them from just wheeling around the house and the mall. I've got plastic rims - the new chair I'm getting will have aluminum. I thought my fingers were one of the main things I needed to protect (also the palm when going downhill). Thanks again.

I don't push a wheelchair, but have experience using fingerless gloves for sailing. The purpose is to leave the fingertips exposed so you have better deterity and feeling for fine motor tasks. If you have no finger use, there is limited advantage to using them. The purpose of gloves is more to protect your palms from both abrasion and repeated trauma (which contributes to CTS).

(KLD)