Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make floor to chair transfer easier?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to make floor to chair transfer easier?

I am spending more time on the floor these days playing with my young kids and I love it!

Unfortunately, I really hate getting back up. Even though I'm a T4, strong, healthy & fit, it's a major pain in the ass. I go from floor to a stool, to a coffee table to the chair.

Any suggestions on improving the floor to chair transfer?

Mike, as you know, I am a t-4 too. One thing that really helps out I find is to take my cushion off the chair and put it directly in front of the footrest and kneel on it. This raises my body up 2 to 3 inches. I get in a kneeling position facing the w/c with my hands on the down tubes that go to the footrests and I push as hard as I can while at the same time twisting my body. Once I get my left hip on the lower seat upholstry of the chair I am home free, then I move my hands up and roll over to my backside while pushing up and I am in. The trick of taking off the cushion and using that to kneel on has really helped out. I pop in the chair from the floor now in about 20 seconds. Once I am in the Chair, I pick up the cushion and either jump in another chair or the bed and put the cushion back on the chair and jump back to the chair, or if someone is with me, I do a pushup and have them slide the cushion under me.

Heh...well...I'm a T-10 and I still have an awful time with this type of transfer. I do the same thing you do, mk...try to get something to use as a "middle step." Usually it's a stepstool. I, too, end up in the floor a lot because I have a 5-year-old sister, and if I know I'm going to be in the floor, I can go get something to use as my middle step. But if something happens and I end up there either by emergency or accident, it becomes a bit more of a problem. I'll try Curt's approach sometime when I'm alone so I don't make an ass of myself...and I'm also curious to see others' solutions.

Stupidity is not a handicap. Please park elsewhere.

The way I do it is similar to the way Curt does it, except I place my hands on the seat or tubing on the side of the seat, then push up and twist to get the corner of my butt on the edge of the seat.

Another thing you can try is to put a cushion or two in front of the wheelchair. That way, you won't have to remove your chair cushion. This is the way I usually do it at home. If you sit the cushion with your knees bent toward it, then use the chair to pull yourself up on your knees so you're facing the chair, you're all set. It might be easier than trying to get your knees up on the cushion from the floor from a kneeling position. I'm T-12, so I'm a lower injury, but it might work for you, too.

I'm a T8 and spend lots of time under my car on a creeper, the way I get back into my chair is to have something even with the chair in height and I can pick myself up between the two and swing my butt onto the chair. But this takes very strong shoulders and arms but if you are in good shape it shouldn't be a problemb.

mk, i do the same thing as curt, with one exception. i leave my seat cushion on and instead of twisting as i'm pushing up on the tubes, i push myself all the way over my seat-back, so that my chest is hanging partially over the back. then i flip myself over using the wheels and back for balance and leverage.

I'm a C8, I can't go directly to the chair, but I can get go to a couch then the chair. What I do is pull the chair up to the couch facing it. Then I scoot inbetween them, push off the couch and chair and slide up onto the couch. Then hop over to the chair.

I've tried going to the chair the way Curt described. I can get onto my knees in front of the chair and lift myself up, but I can't swing my hips around onto the chair.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I have the answer! However, it would be nice to recieve some help from everyone here. I have a quickie wheelchiar that I call my Camel. It looks just like our primitive wheelchairs and weighs the same amount. It drops down to the floor and raises you back up approximatly a foot and a half more than normal.. I just got back home and need some help getting these inventions out to everyone. No kidding, it is AWESOME and I believe that everyone should have one. Please help me figure out the best way to do get it into production fast!!!! My father will not quit working for a second and I need some good advise. The money that all of the new Camels/Alters/other things make will help us to find a cure....

Superstar - do you have a picture of it? How does it raise/lower?

Scott,
    No I do not have a picture but I will make a video so that you can see how it works.. My dad will be bringing my things to me from South Padre Island tomorrow so it will be a few days before i can show you this paticular one. However, I have my Alter, (standing wheelchair) with me as well as the cross-trainer that i exercise on. I will look on your profile and get your e-mail address and send you some clips later on tonight. I am starving and need to go drop off my Uhaul from hell.
    Let me know what you think...