Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walker Institute

Walker Institute

Is there anyone out there who's attended the Walker Institute that used to operate out of Pacific Palisades in southern California?

I went there for a year in 1991. I would enjoy hearing from anyone who also attended and what their experiences were.

Originally posted by KINGOFUN:

Is there anyone out there who's attended the Walker Institute that used to operate out of Pacific Palisades in southern California?

I went there for a year in 1991. I would enjoy hearing from anyone who also attended and what their experiences were.
    i wqas also evaluated in 91, great people.

I was there for a year from September '84 to September '85. Best year of my paralysis.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

As I recall, the Walker Institute was run by Dr. Judith Walker, and it was in Pacific Palisades, California. I recall seeing the local news doing a story about her institute and how her center helped people in wheelchairs to walk again. Later she relocated to either Palm Springs or Palm Desert, and I do not know if her clinic is still open. I also recall that she was using GM-1 as part of her therapy. That was a long time ago, and I do not recall any more details. By the way, they did not accept MediCare insurance.

Maybe someone can recall more, or you may want to try a Google search.

PN

Originally posted by PN:

As I recall, the Walker Institute was run by Dr. Judith Walker, and it was in Pacific Palisades, California. I recall seeing the local news doing a story about her institute and how her center helped people in wheelchairs to walk again. Later she relocated to either Palm Springs or Palm Desert, and I do not know if her clinic is still open. I also recall that she was using GM-1 as part of her therapy. That was a long time ago, and I do not recall any more details. By the way, they did not accept MediCare insurance.

Maybe someone can recall more, or you may want to try a Google search.

PN
    private ins only, sure was a nice place

When I was there, it was on Westwood Blvd. in Santa Monica. A couple rooms on the second floor of an office building. Intensive PT and exercise - an early, expensive version of what's recommended now.

At lunch time, we'd sit out front and eat our lunch (while watching the hot women excercising in the exercise club on the first floor. Also watched the fancy cars go by.) One day, the actor Earl Holliman came by and chatted with us for a while.

Damn, that's a long time ago. Boy, am I getting old.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

I went there a year post-SCI and it was the best thing. I gained so much strength, learned new tricks, walked quite a bit, used FES biycle, practiced bladder and bowel management (with little results), met a lot of new friends, and thehighlight was my participation in the first GM-1 study. We took it for six months and it didn't do anything for anyone regardless of their level or length of injury.
    Then I heard later she got arrested on drug charges though I'm not sure about it.
    The whole experience was something. I went there for a full year and we exercised 5 1/2 days a week, full days. It was killer and my wonderful insurance company back then paid for every dime of it, about $150k.
    I miss that experience but still have videotapes of my walking sessions. It makes me cry every single time I watch them. I thought it was so attainable.

what happened to the walker institute? did it go under when insurance pulled the plug on funding? sounds very cool and similar to project walk...

"Then I heard later she got arrested on drug charges though I'm not sure about it."

I know there were some problems, but I cannot recall what exactly happened.

PN

I was there, on Westwood Blvd, from August '85 to January '86, 15 months after my injury. 7-8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I agree, the best exercise experience of all my injured years. I wish I had kept it up.

I heard that they were shut down because they were promising recovery and shouldn't have been. I don't know, they never "promised" me anything, but I am sure thankful for what they did for me!