Thread: Therapy and Full Time Work

Therapy and Full Time Work

Does anybody here work full time AND do intensive therapy/workout? How do you manage time/energy? thank you.

good question. i was very fit and physically active pre-sci. then post sci i went back to work FT. up a 6am, out by 8am, work at 8:30am, back home by 5:30 pm(hopefully), then dinner, bowel routine, maybe some more work or ROM, then in bed hopefully by 10 with an exhausting, frankly miserable, 16 hr "chair day". i did this for 15 yrs and never did any exercise at all (with rare exception). i just couldn't find the time or energy to do it correctly. looking back, my health suffered and it caught up with me.

i retired 2 yrs ago and now exercise 3x/week, swim 1x/week and go to my local 4 mi boardwalk in the warmer weather. my shoulders/upper body are the best they have ever been, i lost the 25 lbs i was overweight and am in the best shape since pre-sci.

unfortunately, there's no way i could do this while working FT.

i have a few suggestions:
    1. you need a home routine-travelling to a place and the waiting cost you time
    2. develop a smart, short (30-45 min), varied routine that alternates muscle groups and aerobic work (as possible)-i spend longer but do it 3x/week, you can do less, but more frequently
    3. if you need to go to a place (like a pool)-try to arrange it first thing am/or pm and see if your employer will let you get there late, leave early and make up the time on the other days (lousy, but maybe only option).
    4. if possible, work less (just a bit, say 5 hrs/week), but enough keep insurance benefits, this gives you a full hr/day

it sucks i know, that we just can't pop to the gym like those able bodied and often there aren't any options when it comes to working hrs/flexibility.

there's lots of options for home gear, depending on level of injury, space, and $$.

I work full-time as a teacher and I have three kids. Get up at 5:45 daily, leave for work at 7:15. Get home around 3:30-4:00 (getting out at this time helps), taxi children who are involved in everything (now have one child who is 16 and get taxi himself), do laundry, don't cook much, take care of 8 cats and one dog, ride my Ergys 4 hours a week (four times, 1 hour each time), stand in standing frame while doing paperwork, and exercise on Spectrastim while folding clothes and other things. Go to bed around 11:00.It is a long day but I do enjoy exercising and know how important it is. Like everything else with SCI we have to go above and beyond what an AB would have to do. Keep up the hard work

Thank you both for your input. This is helpful. I think that's what I need, to get some equipment set up at home. You both pretty much described my days, full and no extra time. I've gotta do something though. My health/stamina/immune system is going downhill. Even a few minutes a day would be better than not at all. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Blundy:

Thank you both for your input. This is helpful. I think that's what I need, to get some equipment set up at home. You both pretty much described my days, full and no extra time. I've gotta do something though. My health/stamina/immune system is going downhill. Even a few minutes a day would be better than not at all. Thanks again.
    im a c4-5 inc, i leave for work bout 5.30-6.00, get home bout 5, eat dinner then 1.5 hour workout, consistying of handcycle, then circuit/muscle training on my uppertone , keeping heartrate up the whole time, i stand about 3 days a week as well. its not "if" you make time u just do it, lifting and cardio are the most importtant thing u can do to be healthy

Thanks man. Also helpful. I was also wondering how to get a good work out but not build upper body muscle mass. My chest, neck and arms are already bigger than I'd like them to be and that's not from working out, just muscle built from using the chair. I don't want to get any bigger. Any suggestions on keeping fit without bulking up? thanks.

I need information on equipment to use and what type of excercise for what type of muscle group. My boyfriend is a para and his injury is a t-4 complete. He works full-time and comes home and relaxes but doesn't workout. Now his upper body is very muscular from having to push all day but his abs and other parts aren't. Could someone help. I've also been trying to get him to stand in his frame for at least 2 days a week and he won't do that.any suggestions

Originally posted by Blundy:

Thanks man. Also helpful. I was also wondering how to get a good work out but not build upper body muscle mass. My chest, neck and arms are already bigger than I'd like them to be and that's not from working out, just muscle built from using the chair. I don't want to get any bigger. Any suggestions on keeping fit without bulking up? thanks.
    BLUNDY, TO GET IN SHAPE DO ANEROBIC, THE EASIEST WAY TO TELL U WHEN YOUR IN ANEROBIC MODE IS IF U HAVE DIFFICULTY TALKING WHILE EXERCISING-YOUR REALLY SUICKING AIR., AEROBIC IS A STEADY ELEVATED HEARTRATE, YOU CAN TALK WHILE DOING THIS.
    TO GET HERE USE EITHER OR BOTH A HANDCYCLE AND OR CIRCUIT TRAINING. THE LATTER CONSISTS OF LIGHTER WEIGHT HITTING MANY IND MUSCLE GROUPS WITHOUT RESTING IN BETWEEN SETS. DO ANEROBIC FOR ABOUT A MONTH THEN TRANSITION INTO "REGULAR" STEADY CARDIO WORKOUTS HOPE THIS HELPS.

The energy problem is solved with the workout, your energy will increase from your exercise program. I work 65+ hrs a week and meet with a trainer before work four days a week ( he helps with form and moving weights around for me and equipment setup). Up at 5am and at the gym at 6:30 for 45 mins, work 8am to about 7:30pm or later. Before I started my current fitness program I could barely stay awake the whole day, now it's not a problem.

I do some weights, plyometrics and stretching at the gym and either ride my FES bike or stand for 30mins most evenings. As far as keeping strong without bulking up I started with some ballet and yoga moves that really helped with strength and flexibility in my shoulders in particular. My wife dances semi-professionally and when she suggested it I laughed but now I understand why dancers have the bodies they do, she has a great little bod.

thanks for the added feedback folks. much appreciated.