Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for SCI-Step & Project Walk Re: Glider 6000

A question for SCI-Step & Project Walk Re: Glider 6000

Dear Michele and Eric,

Recently, I have bought a EasyStand Glider 6000 for my son, Richard. The purpose of which is to provide him with more exercises for his upper body. While you are using your hands to push the handles back and forth, your legs are also moving back and forth simultaneously. I am wondering if this motion of the legs will harm the hip joints or not?

Look forward to hearing from you! Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
    Suzanne

Suzanne,
    Hello! I am very familiar with the Glider 6000. We have used it at Sci-Step and we are working on getting a former client one at his house.

Without knowing the specific details of your son's injury, this piece provides the necessary weight bearing component and allows the user to move both sets of limbs even if just one of those four can move voluntarily.

I assume that he was measured and the adjustments are in the proper place. If not, there is a detailed guide on the Easystand website. Based on that, the length of the allowed stride should be proportional to his body.

It does a wonderful job of ROM for the joints and if used as instructed for the intensity and duration outlined by EasyStand or his DR., there should not be any contraindication of the hip.

Best of luck!!

Michele

Hi Michele,

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful reply! My son, Richard, aged 18, is a T12 imcomplete para.

Richard might be going to UBC in Vancouver next September, I'm considering for him to join some programs in the United States during the summer of 2004. Perhaps I will send you a video showing his progress at the moment and you can kindly offer me some comments.

Once again thank you very much!
    Suzanne

That sounds great. I would love to see a video of him and will offer any assistance that I can!

Happy New Year!

Michele

could you post a website to see and read up on this machine? TY.

teesieme: http://www.easystand.com/products/6000.html

I have received a reply Project Walk recently and would like to share with members here:-

Suzanne,

we received your video and note and found Richard's progress to be extraordinary. Your son is a perfect candidate for our program as we have several clients with T-12/L-1 injuries who are learning the skills necessary to walk again. In the last six months, we opened a Gait Training Center and added specific equipment designed to assist people in the latter phases of recovery.

I would encourage you to send an application and bring Richard here for a trial visit as I believe our program is just what you are looking for to get him walking functionally again. I can schedule him as early as mid-February if desired. Applications can be found on our web site www.projectwalk.org under Entry Requirements.

We will send you a video of a current client with a T-12 injury working out to give you an idea of what our program entails.

Feel free to call me if you have questions.
    Suzy Sale
    Director of Operations
    760-431-3484

Question???????? This Glider 6000--do you tink a T-4 complete parapalegic could benefit usig something like this--of course we would have to put extra things on it to help him stand....Any suggestions of what he could use to work out both lower and upper body....he is pretty built up top just his lower parts aren't which is understandable....He gets very down about it because he was very active before the accident . And like i said his arms are in perfest shape due to him lifting himself and pushing the wheelchair constantly.....Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..Thanks

Rae,

I'm sorry that I am not an expert, therefore, I may not be able to answer your questions properly.

If you are interested in Glider 6000, please enquire them directly, in addition to that, you can also raise same questions to
    Michele of SCI-Step and Eric Harness of Project Walk for their kind
    advice.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Suzanne

We use this with all levels of injury including low quads...as long as they can operate the arm section (even with velcro to hold hands in place). Our patients prefer it over passive standing too.

(KLD)