Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxycycle ?

I have seen them for $150 in various discount catalogues!

I found it here for $100.00 am calling them tomorrow. As quad i'm guessing i'll have to make a foot pedal plate? is it more than one speed? couldn't tell from d/load material,
    http://www.healthyworld.ca/products/fitness.htm

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

Leo

A word of caution before you buy. The reason my son does not use his oxycycle is it did not have a big enough motor to move his legs. When he first tried it, my wife and I had to assist so it would work. IMO, the oxycycle may be good only if you have some voluntary movement. My son also had to hold his knees apart while peddling.

Matt's using the Oxycycle for upper body exercise. We ace wrap his hands to the pedals, haven't had to modify at all - plus it keeps him prisoner til we decide to let him off!

Leo,

haven't forgot about you.

I will post an answer to your question later today.

...gotta get to work right now...

Leo, others,

Yes, keeping your feet in the pedals can be a challenge.

Here's how I solved the problem:

1. I removed the standard pedals.

2. I took one of the pedals to the local bike shop to get the proper shaft diameter. Then I had the dealer order clipless pedals (these are essentially cleated pedals) and sandals that would lock/snap into the cleats. These can be found at www.shimano.com

3. I installed the pedals (exactly the same as one piece bicycle cranks) and attached (snapped in place) the sandals. Now I've got a permanent "shoe" or foot platform that is locked in/on the pedal. Once I take my shoes off I then open the sandals (velcro straps) using zip ties shaped in a loop that I whole punched into each strap (across the top of the feet and the heel).

4. Once my foot is in each sandal I position myself appropriately in my wc so that my legs arev free to move and don't bang each other (takes a little practice).

5. Then set the timer and there you go.

6. Once finished I just pull the velcro straps open (remember the sandal is locked in via cleat) using the zip tie loops, release my feet, put on some loafers or slippers and off to something else.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more detail on the pedals, sandals, cleats as they are the key to making this set-up user friendly - even to a quad.

Good luck.

Thanks Chris,

It does have the power than? a little extra or does it grown? just one speed to right? i think i'll go for it so i'll be bugging u more.
    oh also do you set it up for use with arms? that's some thing i'm wanting to do, but at this price it may be better just to have two setup. later

ok Chris, I've browsed that site, theres a dozen pedals and a dozen sandles. i hate shopping would you narrow it down for me to a product number. please

Gandolf the Gray

[This message was edited by Leo on 10-14-03 at 01:40 PM.]

Hi Chris,

I'm also very interested so thanks for your answers and explanations - very helpful.

I dont suppose you feel like posting a photo?
    Thanks
    AO.

-------
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid occasionally, but some people abuse the privilege.

AO, while we're waiting on Chris, heres the link he mentioned earlier, http://www.rolli-moden.com/
    Call them and ask for catolog, I guess they distibute the ones setup with foot pedals. will keep in touch.

Gandolf the Gray

Ok Leo, your wish is granted:

To find the clipless sandals that I use with a photo of said sandals go to:

http://bike.shimano.com/Footwear_Ped...number=SH-SD60

Pedals:

same link just replace: ?partnumber=PD-M520

Any reputable bicycle shop should be able to supply you with this equipment.

Good luck.