Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stretch and ROM, there has to be a better way!

Stretch and ROM, there has to be a better way!

Doing my *daily* stretches and rom is killing my hands. The way I stretch my hamstrings, I get in the bed, with one leg out straight, the other bent over it in a figure 4. This keeps the knee from bending up when I the spasms resist. I then put my hands behind me in a fist, and push down forcing my back straight, and I lean over to get a good stretch. When I'm done with these, my knuckels are red and raw.

To stretch the ankles, my therapist gave me one of those belts they use. I leave it in a loop, and hook one end over my foot, and pull so the foot is straight up, then I lay backwards. After I get done with that, my hands are sore, red and raw from the belt.

I've tried wearing gloves, but they make it harder for me to grip (I'm C8 complete).

What's a better way to do these things? I have pretty bad spasms, and they tend to fight with me while I'm doing these.

Once I get a standing frame I should no longer have to do the ankle stretching right?

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Jimnms , i do hamstring stretches by putting my head on my knees with my legs out in front . i started this in rehab in 91 , and while in rehab got flexible enough that i could spread my legs slightly put my head on the mats between my legs and go to sleep in this position . since then , i have torn 2 hamstrings in each leg from falling over [ i think ] , so i don't go to this extreme anymore . at not far off 44 years old i can still put my head flat on my knees . regarding spasms , you may need to put weights on your knees for a start , though it doesn't matter if your knees are not fully straight to start with , and the more you do this the less i found spasms occurred . i stretch my calves while standing . i hope this helps .
    thank you ,
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

Placing a shim in the footplate of your standing frame will further stretch your ankles, if needed.

Jimnms, I'm going to copy this to the Exercise forum.

jim,
    I don't understand exactly what you are doing, but I stretch without those belts, being c5/6.
    I do the leaning forward, as dogger does, but this does not stretch hamstrings as well and if lean over too long (as i have also fallen asleep in this position dogger lol) it can OVERstretch your back. Once in this long sittting position, you can use your forearm to pull your feet flat up towards you (try touching toes to head). You can spread your legs apart to help stretch your inner thighs also. You can also lay on your back, pull up on leg at a time, to your head (helps to keep opposite leg as flat on bed as possible. if you do not have someone there to hold down, you can place a weight on it). Slowly stetch the leg up toward headboard, and for me, to help pull the feet flat, since it does put a lot a pressure on wrist/forearm, I like to use the headboard to hold the feet in that flat position. If I have someone helping with the stretches, I can have them push my feet flexed up for me also.

I been very lazy (as well as PCA being very lazy in her assist w/ me) and not have been stretching daily as I had in past. but im still pretty flexible and can get easily back into these positions.

Dogger, my therapist told me to keep my back straight while stretching my ham strings, I forget why exactly, but I think she said it could cause back problems. I was also told to get a proper ankle stretch, I needed to be laying flat, thats why I use the belt and lay backwards.

I don't have a standing frame yet, but it seems that if your standing, you don't need to stretch your ankles, am I correct?

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Originally posted by jimnms:

I don't have a standing frame yet, but it seems that if your standing, you don't need to stretch your ankles, am I correct?
    Pretty much, but I think it might depend on the kind of standing frame also. Get the kind that you can elevate the front part of the foot rests so your front part of the foot is up, that will stretch your ankles much more than just level standing. I know the Easystand 5000 has this feature, worked wonders getting the onset of drop foot out of my ankles when I was doing outpatient PT. Just a half hour with them up like that and they rested nicely with my feet like they should be once off the frame.

Originally posted by *Andy*:

Pretty much, but I think it might depend on the kind of standing frame also. Get the kind that you can elevate the front part of the foot rests so your front part of the foot is up, that will stretch your ankles much more than just level standing. I know the Easystand 5000 has this feature, worked wonders getting the onset of drop foot out of my ankles when I was doing outpatient PT. Just a half hour with them up like that and they rested nicely with my feet like they should be once off the frame.
    I'm trying to get an Easystand Glider. I tried one out a few weeks ago, and OMG what a workout. My legs provided enough resistance that I didn't have to use the resistance thingy.

I can always prop a wedge under each foot if I need a litle extra stretch.

_____

Good choice, Easystand makes some nice looking equipment compared to the other brands. I was thinking of a 6000 also, but the 5000 model's mobile kit sold me on that, it should be here in a couple of weeks.

JIMNMS,