Thread: SCI Re-Hab Facilities

SCI Re-Hab Facilities

Other than Project Walk is there any other facilities?

If you read thru past posts, you will get a great deal of information about your options. In addition to PW, there is the NeuroInstitute and Sit Tall Stand Tall which are both out west. Sci-Step (www.sci-step.com) is in Cincinnati. These program differ slightly but have the same goal for SCI recovery. Hope it helps and best of luck!

Are there any places like that here in Canada?
    All the ones I see are in the USA

I WAS READING THE PROGRESS REPORTS POSTED, AND I AM ALSO WONDERING, IF THERE ARE ANY REHAB FACILITIES WITH MORE AGGRESSIVE APPROACHES TO SCI, LOCATED ANYWHERE IN CANADA ??? WE LIVE 2 HRS. FROM ANY MAJOR CENTER, SO MY SON IS NOT DOING ANY KIND OF PHYSIO CURRENTLY, AND IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING AS A PARENT TO WATCH HIM DO NOTHING AT ALL. ALL THE REPORTS LOOK VERY ENCOURAGING AND WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM START IN A PROGRAM. IF ANY OTHER CANADIANS KNOW OF ANY PROGRAMS AVAILABLE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS.
    CHRIS B.

Chris B
    If you haven't already made contact you should speak with the Rick Hansen Foundation in Vancouver and also iCORD, also in Vancouver. Setting up a home program is a good start, dumbell weights, a LEG and arm cycle with FES and heaps and heaps of repetitive stretching and balance work, aimed at using (working against) muscle spasm to enhance muscle performance and maybe even get some voluntary return via new pathways.
    and check out the research and ideas on this site.
    best luck

DAVID IN PERTH,
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT. I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN IN TOUCH WITH RICK HANSEN FOUND. IN VANCOUVER, AND WILL LOOK FOR ICORDA AS WELL. IN JUNE MY SON AND I PARTICIPATED IN FIRST ANNUAL RICK HANSEN WHEELS IN MOTION CAMPAIGN TO RAISE FUNDS AND AWARENESS FOR SCI. OUR SMALL GROUP RAISED 5600.00, WITH 50% COMING BACK TO LOCAL COMMUNITY FOR SCI NEEDS. THERE ARE 3 LOCAL BOYS WITH SCI, SO MAYBE I WILL SUGGEST THAT WE PURCHASE WORKOUT EQUIPMENT !! THANKS AGAIN.
    CHRIS B.

Chris B,
    When your write in all caps on the internet, not only is it very difficult to read, but this means you are SHOUTING AT THE PERSON YOU ARE TALKING TO. If you are not shouting, please use lower case. We don't care if your capitalization is done correctly or not. Thanks!

(KLD)

T-Bone, while it is not like Project Walk, the University of Washington Medical Center has an excellent SCI rehab program. In the past two years, I have gone from firmly planted in a chair to a functional community walker. I owe that progress to what I have done and learned at the UW.

I don't know where in Washington you live or what you're injury is like, but they're worth checking out.

- Bruce