Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My FES Schedule

My FES Schedule

I've changed a lot over the past few years. Right now I'm in a mode where I'm not flexible at all. I fight, kick, bite and scratch to preserve my FES schedule. I try not to waiver at all. That seems to really help.

Sun Evening
    Tues Evening
    Thurs Evening
    Sat Morning

From Thurs Eve to Sat Morn is only 36 hrs instead of 48. Same for Sat Morn to Sun Eve. But 36 hours seems to be enough rest from my experience. It allows me to get four rides in every week instead of every other week. And most importantly I ride at the same times each week. Even my wife knows my FES schedule and will not double book those times. Prior to this routine she was constantly checking my FES schedule with me and always trying to negotiate for different days. Now, it is what it is!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

I hear you Jeff.

Since my kids have been born I've used my FES bike once. ONCE in the last month compared to 4-6 times per week before. Whenever I have a moment I choose to sleep instead of exercise.

I certainly hope this is temporary. I miss my FES!

MK - You have a good attitude.

For me, it's different. FES is such a pain in the ass that it's easy to succumb to excuses. Forty-five minutes on the bike feels like three or four hours. I think it must be my lack of sympathetic innervation to the heart. I find myself having to really push it every time in order to make gains. Add to that the fact that my urologist keeps lowering my blood pressure and it definitely takes discipline to stick with my schedule.

But stick with it I will. No one said SCI was easy.

I have had to cut way back on my FES bike use too, I screwed up something in my right leg and the fes seems to only be aggravating it. I think it is either a nerve or a muscle. Had a ultrasound to check for blood clots and came back negitive and then an x ray to check for broken bones that came back negitive too. I think I will go for a one hour ride tonight though on level two and see what happens, it has been about a week and my legs are starting to get less muscular. You really have to stay with it no matter what even if you do have to take a short break from the program.

Good to hear you are still using your bike regularly Jeff.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I find the setup to be a pain in the ass... it's like working out pre-injury. The hard part was getting my ass to the gym, after that it was easy.

I use the stimwear and so everytime I want to ride the bike I need to put it on and have my wife put the gel on. Later I gotta take it off again... multiple transfers and putting pants on & off is a pain in the ass.

I also find sometimes it's slightly painful riding the bike cause I still have SOME (very little) sensory left. But the feeling of fast & heavy breathing, heart pounding, sweating and legs working hard is all worth it. After a workout I feel almost as good as I used to after a good gym workout pre-injury.

Curtis, hope your leg recovers... whatever is wrong with it.

I hurt my knee early on riding the bike. And then pedaling became very painful. All I could do was stay off it. My physiatrist prescribed for me Daypro, an anti-inflammatory, but Wise and KLD cautioned me about using it. So, I just biked when I could stand the pain. I later had a long rest from the bike while I was overseas and that let it heal up completely. I take chondroitin daily and I think that helps.

Yeah, there's nothing like the feeling of accomplishment when you finish a ride and begin to catch your breath. If only for the self-esteem it's priceless.

BTW, I posted a pic that shows one of my legs over in the Sports & Travel Forum. I guess I can link to it from here. Just so you all can get an idea what it's like to regain muscle mass. Your calves even get a little boost from the bleedover of electricity from your hams and quads. I have never achieved pre-injury status. Not even close. But FES certainly helps. I used to be a lot more shy about how my legs looked. Now it doesn't bother me.

Oh yeah. Another good tip is to keep vital stats on your progress. Like ..... how many minutes until the machine lowered you a resistance level. If it didn't, and you made it the whole way without dropping a level, then what was your ending stim% and RPMs. And always, what was your starting resistance level, total minutes pedaled and total miles.

Th more you keep track of your progress the better you will do. You'll start to learn nuances of how to improve. Like drinking more water and eating well the day of a ride. Quads will always remember to cool the room and get a fan in place. And everyone will remember to have water, cordless phone and TV remote within reach. My FES area is totally stocked. I keep extra skin preps and electrode pads. And my trusty water spray bottle to keep me cool. Of course, I noticed that water that missed my body would run down the inside back of the seat and soak the electrodes on my butt. Causing me to have to replace them prematurely. So I prepare by covering the seat with a beach towel first.

It's a lot of work. But once you have a solid habit in place it's a lot easier.

Good Suggestions Jeff, Btw, great pictures. I just wish more SCI people would take more of an interest in FES Exercise. I am just about to go down stairs to do my workout now after a four day vacation from it due to a Four Day Sailing Regatta. This will be the first time I try lowering my right leg levels to try and make my left side do more of the work load, should be interesting to see what happens.

I have found too, I am best not using the alcohol wipes, I just stick the electrodes right on the skin, I get real long life out of the electrodes this way, plus I save time and money not using the wipes. Steve Originally suggested this when I was in Ohio testing the Galaxy bike. I guess somebody with oily skin would not be able to get away doing this, but for me it is a good time saving trick. I really think using the Electrodes, especially without the Alcohol wipes is a lot more easy than those bioflex pants, I think those things are more of a hassle than they are worth, expensive and do not last very long.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curtis - Are you saying that the electrode pads last longer when you don't use the alcohol wipes? I wonder if the stuff left on your skin accumulates on the electrode pads? Hmmm...

And have you ever tried shaving? My legs are not unusually hairy but I still often think about it. It wouldn't cost much and seems like it might help. Of course, then you have to explain razor stubble, lol.

I'll try it without the alcohol wipes. Thanks for the tip!