Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Endurance!!!!!!!! Where cab I buy some????

Endurance!!!!!!!! Where cab I buy some????

I wear out so fast that it's pathetic, yesterday I managed to do 5 steady minutes on the handcycle but geee... it was murder. Does that change as u exercise or is their a trick to gain some?

...and the soul afraid of dyin'... That never learns to live...

Polett

The best way is to keep working out and the endurance will eventually come. There are a few things you might try to build up your tolerance in the meantime. If you can't go more than 5 minutes then do 5 minutes, rest some (a couple of minutes or more if you need it) and try doing 5 more minutes or whatever you can do. Try doing this several times even if you can't do 5 minutes all the time do what you can do. Eventually you will see the 5 minutes getting longer and the rest periods getting shorter and eventually eliminated from your workouts.

If I have gotten away from my cardio workouts for a period of time I find it takes a week to 2 weeks before I start to feel comfortable again. Have fun and stay with it. A month from now you won't believe that 5 minutes was that difficult.

Steve

My endurance isn't good either, being anemic and having low blood pressure doesn't help. If your problem is the latter a mild stimulant like coffee or the prescription drug Modafinil might help.

if it is at all possible try your local pool. talk to your dr. i am an in complete quad who started out using the lift and being totally exhausted stayed with it tho and can manage stairs to some degree my whole body functions better and with less pain and more endurance than i thought possible. but like he said what ever exercise stay with it. it will get easeir and i have found the same thing away from it and it takes awhile to get back up to par good luck. dont give up dont give in
    irish

exercise on a regular basis is the key. A few years ago after five miles or so on the handcycle I would be huffing and puffing. Now after even 30 miles, I feel like going another 30 and am not even tired and yet I am 3 years older. In order to build up this endurance requires a lot of patiance, effort and motivation though. Its like anything else in life, you get out what you put into it.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

FES helps a lot. But I find endurance to still be a key issue for me. I think it's because I was a quad for twenty years before I started exercising regularly. I think it will take a lot of hard work before I can fully regain all that I lost.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Originally posted by Curtis:

exercise on a regular basis is the key. A few years ago after five miles or so on the handcycle I would be huffing and puffing. Now after even 30 miles, I feel like going another 30 and am not even tired and yet I am 3 years older. In order to build up this endurance requires a lot of patiance, effort and motivation though. Its like anything else in life, you get out what you put into it.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL... Curtis, if I go as far as 1 mile, it would be cause someone is lying to motivate me. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of every minute I achieve, I love going to the gym, I'm even strating to feel a bit diference on my triceps and abs... my prob now is that I'll only have the student helping me 'till august as her intership is over then. I'll be on my own after that and still trying to figure out what to do, cause I need assistance getting setup on the machines and a trainer is more that i can afford. But I'll manage something... we'll c.
    As for the handbike, I'm up to 5min. & 5min. can't do 10 straight cause my arms just pass out and force me into a 2 min. break. I'm thinking to ask them to leave me on it for half hour and i'll take my breaks and stuff (I have to be tied onto the handles)... I just think that the longer i'm on it, the more i'll c.
    Yesterday when I left my bp or sugar must have dropped that i had to go get a thing of orange juice... geeee are they a nightmare to open, good thing i have good teeth... all though, my jaw is giving up on me, oh well...

...and the soul afraid of dyin'... That never learns to live...

Polett- Exercise is only half the battle for endurance. You need to eat right. Just drinking a cup of java may give you an energy boost but you still need nutrients for your muscles to recover. Cut back on the carbs and sugars and eat more protein. Protein is used to build, repair, and maintain muscle, ligaments and tendons. If protein intake is not enough, protein (muscle) will be broken down and used for energy. Protein can be from egg whites, skinless chicken & turkey, and fish. Protein bars and drinks also work.

Creatine helps my endurance.

You'd better get a big gun 'cause I'm not dead yet."
    ---The Bad Examples

creatine seems to improve my endurance also.