Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: im heading to project walk,am i crazy?

im heading to project walk,am i crazy?

im going out to project walk next month for a week of therapy and evaluation. total trip will cost me about $2000.00. i have been told that its worth the trip while others have told me that im crazy. what do you guys think? please tell me like it is as i know you will. thanks, kantfly

if you are incomplete injury, go for it.
    i would also suggest 4-ap along side.

Moving this post to the Exercise forum here.

Kantfly, you can read about the pros and cons of Project Walk there.

Why would you think you were crazy? Courageous and strong, brave and smart, those are the adverbs I would use. Please go, and try your hardest, I believe this would help all of us, but not all of us are willing to try. Good luck!

it's worth it. I dropped a chunk of change on a trip to fly 2200 miles & visit the Neuro Institute for < 1 week... I'm now convinced that these intensive exercise programs really can & do make a difference in the recovery process... had I never gone & *seen* it, I'd probably feel differently. regardless, I'm trying to find a way to get out there to go through the NI program... ah details... they suck, esp. when just one is holding me up.

but yes, it's worth it. Go check it out.

kantfly,

Yes, go as fast as you can farm mom, DA are right.

Personally, I have attended PW myself and am still applying things that I learned there in a home based program. Unfortunately, a career, marriage, mortgage, etc. prohibit me from attending full time. There's nothing like the real thing of being there - the trainers are awesome, the program constantly evolving.

And for all those who are telling you not to go let me relay this quick story.

When I was injured about three yrs. ago there was another patient there about 19-20 at the time who was, I think, a C5 complete. Try as he might the kid made very little, if any, improvements. Fast forward to last fall, 2002, he starts PW essentially strapped into his power chair. Last week I received a video e-mail about 13 mins long highlighting his accomlishments. It took my breath away. This C5 complete stood up with the help of one trainer. No braces, just his own legs. He demonstrated leg presses, ankle flexion, abdominal and paraspinal exercises, etc. His progress is, imo, pretty remarkable.

Will everyone achieve the same? Not sure. But is it worth a try you bet.

And if you don't believe me or jmublue then read up on larwatson's experience on the Neuroinstitute thread.

Good luck and work hard kantfly.

I have heard good things and bad things about Project Walk I am currently attending a similar program so to speak in Utah. I can tell you one thing for sure that three hours a week of PT is not the answer to the goal that we all want to achieve. All I know is that three months ago I could not get from the floor to my chair or stand in free space with leg braces etc. The people here are walking using leg braces and canes and some have even gone as far as just canes. I am not trying to be a salesman or push the program I am in so if you are interested read my post titled Para's and quad's give up chairs.

Originally posted by kantfly:

im going out to project walk next month for a week of therapy and evaluation. total trip will cost me about $2000.00. i have been told that its worth the trip while others have told me that im crazy. what do you guys think? please tell me like it is as i know you will. thanks, kantfly
    I know this might not be the right way to respond to you but right now I havent a spare minute to read up on how to do it. Just wanted to say that my son is also starting project walk on June 2. Would be interesting to meet you. You should look for a big, big 23 year old boy with a flat top from Minnesota. A C7 with some return, a beekeeper. Should be able to meet you then. Jesses Mom, Jo

The financial issue I cannot seriously judge.
    I assume if it helps regaining capacities, it might be worth it.

However I also assume, that some there might lead to not really heed injured systems reactions to such as well as is good for them.

Apart from that, if I'd always just gone by what differing from me individuals regarded what all as "crazy", as alike a dictatorship over my selected ways, my life might not have even been half as interesting, as it has been.

;-) Acid