Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EZ3 recumbent trike

EZ3 recumbent trike

I went and tried the EZ3 trike by Sun bicycles today. It's the first decent one not priced sky-high. High enough, though-$650.00. It is so cool, feels like a recliner, 21 gears, hand brakes, balance not an issue. I'll have to ace bandage my left foot onto it (or something). I want to check and make sure I can get a car rack to tote it with. Maybe I'll be able to ride with my husband and son some. Not sure this is the right forum. If you have some leg action you might want to check this out.

You'd better get a big gun 'cause I'm not dead yet."
    ---The Bad Examples

Looks like a good deal for the money

http://www.easyracers.com/BROL_EZ3.htm
    Just be careful not to tip it over, looks like a fairly high center of gravity.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Bethany, there are apparently at least 2 of us that have an EZ3 trike -- riding bicycle vs walking-- It's working out great for me. I made some straps from webbing and velcro that wrap around the pedals to keep my feet on. I don't use a rack on my car - my husband pops the rear wheels off, folds down the seat back and handles, and puts it in my trunk. Takes about a minute.

Hi Betheny, I'm moving this to the Exercise forum.

Beth, a friend of mine got a platform bicycle rack from Harbor Freight Tools for $30.00 and modified it to carry a trike. He put a large wooden platform over it and bolted it down and then used inverted Rake holders to hold the tires in place in conjunction with tie down straps. It works great. You will need a large square hitch for this though.

Glad to see you getting a bike and getting out there and getting more active. So when are you going to do your first Century Ride?

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curtis-
    Is a century ride 100 yds? If so, I'm thinking this weekend! lol

You'd better get a big gun 'cause I'm not dead yet."
    ---The Bad Examples

Bethany,

I have one of these trikes and really love this thing. I have tried several different ways to keep my feet on the pedals. The best thing for me was to simply tie a string from one side of the pedal to the other leaving a loop hanging down. I just set my heel in the loop and am good to go. Good luck to you!

See ya, Jeff'

Memphis, Indiana USA

Recumbent tricycles

I, too, ride a Miami Sun EZ-3 Recumbent tricycle, which I have had and have ridden for four years. I had to quit riding a two-wheel bike because of balance problems, and left arm paralysis, after a stroke. At first I had trouble with my feet sliding off the pedals and the pedal coming around and gouging my shin. I solved this by installing clipless pedals an buying the shoes with the clips that clip on the pedals. this has worked great for me, and a twst of the foot releases the clip. I know this works because I have tipped over a few times and my feet have released. I haven't rigged up a car carrier yet, but that is on the top of my agenda.
    This is a great exercise machine. I have installed a large basket on the rear and haul our 17lb Shih Tzu/Maltese dog with me on my rides.
    Last edited by Kenward42; 08-21-2006 at 11:52 AM.

Bethany, I LOVE my EZ3 trike. I rode this year in the MS150 in my area --OK, so I didn't ride the 150 miles, but I did ride 11 the first day and 7 the second and raised over $1200 for the cause. I also use the clipless pedals. Not only does it keep my foot on the pedal, it helps keep it properly aligned as well. Without the pedals, my ankles turn in and my heel hits the crank arm. I load mine in my mini-van, or should I say someone helps me load it. I go to the local part of the bike path and someone is always around to say, "can I help you with that?" I have learned to say, "yes, thank you, that would be wonderful!"

Recently, my partner who is NOT a cyclist, went with me and rented one so we could ride together. It was fun and she really enjoyed it, too. I'll have to look into the car rack if we're going to want to transport two of them, though. Or maybe a small trailer.

Beth-
    I have one too...but I've been a REAL slacker with riding it...I got clipless pedals and bicycle shoes for it....I've only ridden it a couple times, but it really is an awesome bike. The clipless pedals are great b/c they hold my feet on w/out having to worry about slipping off(BIG ISSUE otherwise) If ya want, I'll get ya the info on my pedals and shoes....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......