Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PARASTEP

redneck64,

I stand corrected - apologies. Infopop needs to get its act together on the FIND function. There's nothing beyond las summer that I found helpful.

Ok, from personal experience;

1. I found it cumbersome to use. Many wires/electrodes that need to be positioned just right in order to achieve max function.

2. Time involved was about 1/2 hr to 45mins for set-up.

3. Functionality was effective but slow. How long do you want to take to cross the room? Parastep - 10mins. WC - 10sec. I did not find it very efficient for my needs.

4. Good workout / stimulus for lower body muscle groups as well as upper body endurance.

5. Cost - about $10k was prohibitive.

6. Pretty exhausting after 1/2 hr. Not confident that I could use throughout the day.

Overall I found it great for a workout but inefficient, slow and costly for ADL's.

Remember I'm a low quad. For lower level paras the experience may be different.

Hopefully this helps.

Phebus,
    Thanks...this is the info I was looking for.
    I would like to hear from anyone else that has, or will try the Parastep as I know opinions will vary depending on level of injury, etc. One thing I was wondering about is perhaps it would be more effective as a therapy tool than an FES bike as a person would be bearing full weight on their legs...but then a person might last longer on the bike than the Parastep. Anyway, if anyone has comments, we'd appreciate them. I contacted the manufacturer via email asking if they could give me a list of rehab centers that uses the parastep. I still haven't heard back from them, but it hasn't been very long since I inquired.

Phebus,
    We're you required to prepare with certain exercises or estim to the quads and peroneal nerve? How long were you able use the parastep, a month, 3 months,...?

The Mom,
    Good question.
    Phebus,
    Did they just stick the electrodes on you and say go for it ...or did you have a good bit of pre-preparation and training before you tried it?

Sorry for the delayed response its tough these days checking every forum and thread.

The Mom, No I wasn't required to do anything to prepare other than to prove that I could support my own body weight with my upper torso only - remember I'm C6-7 and not supposed to be able to do any of this stuff.

I used it (parastep) for about 3 weeks on an outpatient basis. Granted it got easier as far as electrode placement, less assistance, etc. Basically in the beginning however it was kind of like "sticking them on and going for it".

As an additional note its important to know that I had already established myself as a very aggressive (as far as rehab) candidate willing to try everything and anything. I had also completed a 6 week swing through gaiting program (see Andy's thread in this forum for a description) with the same group of therapists. Therefore we had a history and an established understanding / relationship which I think is important when getting started. Its good to know each other's abilities.

Quite honestly "swing through gaiting" and Parastep are really old school (1970's-80's) technology. Horribly inefficient and not conducive to activity based recovery.

I would rather recommend that you purchase an FES bike or for minimal $$ build your own harnessed treadmill or eliptical trainer set-up. Much more convenient, cost efficient and most importantly effective without being too cumbersome - imo.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.