View Poll Results:

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a walking para. Regained this function in less than 6 months w/extensive PT.

29 15.43%
  • I am a walking para and regained this function within a year w/extensive PT.

30 15.96%
  • I am a walking para and regained this function within 2 years of my injury. I had extensive PT.

9 4.79%
  • I am a walking para that regained this function after 3 years or more w/extensive PT.

2 1.06%
  • I am a para and have not as of yet regained walking ability.

118 62.77%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Walking Paras

the kafos i use arent evene made for me. they belong to the rehab, but im getting some made http://www.creativeoandp.com/images/...emity/KAFO.jpg
    look like that except the unlocking and locking mechanism is a a little bar that if u sit down and hit it against the mat or whatever it unlocks.. someone will have the real name for it , but yea u just need to learn how to balance with minimal pressure on the upper body so u can take rest from time to time, than u can learn to go forever..IMO

f
    ight

I'm not a para, but I'm dating one, and so I replied for him. He's super!

I'm not a para, but I'm dating one, and so I am replying for him. He's super! He has not yet regained walking after 3 years.

As per request of
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp on 12-15-2005, 02:14 AM
    Hey Sailor<hmmm, that just don't sound right,lol>
    ...snip...
    If you got pics, post'em! I'll make me some braces and try.
    ...snip...
    ...done!
    You can find them in the LaoziSailor and KAFO thread.
    [PS. I will be updating that with more pictures later today, 12-22-2005]
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Any new walking para's?

My son was injured 9/20/03, diagnosed complete, t7-8 (rods from c-5 to
    t-10, 10 broken vertebrat, c-7 small bruise) We are now at SCI-STEP and I believe he will be able to walk someday. He is using a walker with assistance now and just got cast for AFO braces. I believe there is hope for recovery from spinal cord injury, it takes a lot of time and patience and help from folks who know. Before we came to SCI-Step(we got here 1/24/06) he was sitting in his wheelchair at home with the ability to stand, but not take any steps or pedal, which he can do now. For whatever it is worth and inmy opinion only, exercise, cranial sacral and laser therapy helped make a difference in his recovery.

I am a walking para. I burst t12 (incomplete) in 1982. I have the ability with any walking aid and afo braces after my first year of rehab. I was never able to feel very comfortable walking all the time because my harrington rods (T11-L2) interferred with the natural curve of my back and it would not allow me to get my pelvis under me for long term stability plus it was painful...lots of back spasms until I stopped straining to stand straight. My quality of life has been better using a chair.

I do stand up and shuffle along while holding onto a countertop and it is heaven sent for reaching those high cubbards at home and just good stretching. I have always felt very lucky.

T

4 month update

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    My neurosurgeon's diagnosis was "incomplete paraplegia" but I'm not sure if that incomplete meant I have some use of my legs, or if I might get some returns. I am getting back sensory and motor post-injury (I'm now 2 months post-injury).

And I've made it from wheelchair to rolling-walker and yesterday was able to start practicing with 2 wide-based canes (did about 40+ feet...slowly).

I'm not sure what bent meant in terms of 100% impossible, cuz I fully intend on walking again.
    What a quick couple months it's been ...

When I first answered this post, I wasn't even sure if I'd be considered a "walking para" since I was mostly walking with my arms (using the walker). I totally destroyed my glide brakes by grinding them into the ground. I struggled with the AFOs, since my ankles were too weak and I didn't have enough proprioception to walk without them.

I'm now 4.5 months post-injury and I'm amazed at the difference a few months makes. I haven't used my wheelchair in weeks (well ... will probably continue to use for long distances like the mall, airport, museums, etc.) ... and have put the walker and the AFOs in the closet.

My ankles are still weak, but I'm a lot more careful with them and I'm okay as long as my shoes are on.

Recovery is pretty much my full time job. I'm still doing a fairly intense therapy schedule (five 45 min sessions of therapy per week ... 3 land, 2 aquatic), acupuncture (3x/week), home exercises (30 min-45 min per day), and work with my mom for my exercises in the pool at least once or twice a week for about an hour. I walk into grocery stores, hardware stores, barber shops, banks, doctor's offices. I only use the wheelchair when I need to go to the hospital and when I went to the airport. If I have enough time, I attempt to walk the distance and just take breaks when I need.

At home, I have been able to walk around the room (up to 10 feet) with no assistive devices (very ugly ... can't even call it walking ... maybe staggering ?? I go until I reach an object to lean on) ... I walk around the house with a single quad cane (including walking my driveway to check the mail) ... I walk around the neighborhood with two quad canes. I haven't really measured it, but I'm sure I can now walk in excess of 1000 feet without taking a break. I'm hoping to become one of those full-time walking paras someday and working hard toward that goal.

Yes, it's frustrating because day to day it seems like there's so little progress but then I realize the improvements in a few short months. I hope to be able to go to one of those intense recovery centers in the coming months to continue this recovery from SCI.
    Last edited by dan_nc; 03-05-2006 at 02:18 AM.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    From my experience, walking Para's are quite rare, walking quads are more common, however still rare.
    Curt,

I see from some of your posts you are a bit pessimistic.

I think that now through restorative therapy there are a lot more walking para's and quad's.

I have friends that went to KK and what Dr. McDonald is doing there is amazing. I think he's a top doctor/scientist/researcher that is on the cutting edge.

Please more walking para's and quad's speak up. Don't be shy.

**Give us newly injured more faith.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    What a quick couple months it's been ...

When I first answered this post, I wasn't even sure if I'd be considered a "walking para" since I was mostly walking with my arms (using the walker). I totally destroyed my glide brakes by grinding them into the ground. I struggled with the AFOs, since my ankles were too weak and I didn't have enough proprioception to walk without them.

I'm now 4.5 months post-injury and I'm amazed at the difference a few months makes. I haven't used my wheelchair in weeks (well ... will probably continue to use for long distances like the mall, airport, museums, etc.) ... and have put the walker and the AFOs in the closet.

My ankles are still weak, but I'm a lot more careful with them and I'm okay as long as my shoes are on.

Recovery is pretty much my full time job. I'm still doing a fairly intense therapy schedule (five 45 min sessions of therapy per week ... 3 land, 2 aquatic), acupuncture (3x/week), home exercises (30 min-45 min per day), and work with my mom for my exercises in the pool at least once or twice a week for about an hour. I walk into grocery stores, hardware stores, barber shops, banks, doctor's offices. I only use the wheelchair when I need to go to the hospital and when I went to the airport. If I have enough time, I attempt to walk the distance and just take breaks when I need.

At home, I have been able to walk around the room (up to 10 feet) with no assistive devices (very ugly ... can't even call it walking ... maybe staggering ?? I go until I reach an object to lean on) ... I walk around the house with a single quad cane (including walking my driveway to check the mail) ... I walk around the neighborhood with two quad canes. I haven't really measured it, but I'm sure I can now walk in excess of 1000 feet without taking a break. I'm hoping to become one of those full-time walking paras someday and working hard toward that goal.

Yes, it's frustrating because day to day it seems like there's so little progress but then I realize the improvements in a few short months. I hope to be able to go to one of those intense recovery centers in the coming months to continue this recovery from SCI.
    Wow!!! Way cool Dan~ this is awesome news for just a few months into things. Keep at it!
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.