View Poll Results:

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a walking para. Regained this function in less than 6 months w/extensive PT.

29 15.43%
  • I am a walking para and regained this function within a year w/extensive PT.

30 15.96%
  • I am a walking para and regained this function within 2 years of my injury. I had extensive PT.

9 4.79%
  • I am a walking para that regained this function after 3 years or more w/extensive PT.

2 1.06%
  • I am a para and have not as of yet regained walking ability.

118 62.77%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Walking Paras

I'm 18 years old now...Injured 8 months ago..I was diagnosed T12/L1 complete ASIA A...I started walking with KAFO braces, but about 6months post my injury, I was able to stand on my own,a take few steps...I can walk without braces in parallel bars quite well, and trying to walk at home with walker full time...but my left leg is so weak below the knee,i dont have there any working muscles..hope that recovery will continue

So I know that this thread is extremely old but I just read through the whole thing and am now wondering... "What the hell is wrong with me" Unless just all of those 100+ people that resonponded either can walk now or chose not to give posts, it seems that most of the posts are of paras who are able to walk to some degree. Either using assistance or not. So, again I ask... what is wrong with me that despite continual effort on my part I am still in the dark on this walking thing after over 6yrs post injury. Am I doing something wrong??

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

L1 Compression fracture Asia c.

after sugery (feb1 2010) the only thing I could have moved were my right and left toes. I stood up for the first time at home on March 25th and walked for the first time on April 4th.

walking is hard!!!! I use a walker, and now I take steps on my own. I fell a few time but more careful now. I hope to get stronger.

bcsimpsons, I am a bit tipsy right now but my heart goes out to you with a reminder I was once a part of this post... all I can tell you is that it depends on your injury and what you have to work with, meaning to work with internally and externally is what I am in conclusion of after eight years of my son being so dedicated to all he has gained and continued to maintain, it is a matter of figuring out what is worth it and what isn't. I will always believe his braces needed to be of good quality and fit, which after time they weren't and that he should have stayed with the therapy program in Florida for biofeedback while things were still deciding to connect or not. Just mho. Write to me in a pm., I am curious to know more in depth where your level of injury is, what your return has actually been and what it is that you do on a personal level with home pt or otherwise, if you want to share some insight and experience from the mama.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Quote Originally Posted by debbier View Post
    L1 Compression fracture Asia c.

after sugery (feb1 2010) the only thing I could have moved were my right and left toes. I stood up for the first time at home on March 25th and walked for the first time on April 4th.

walking is hard!!!! I use a walker, and now I take steps on my own. I fell a few time but more careful now. I hope to get stronger.
    You have every reason to hope for a lot more improvement and strength. good luck.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

i agree im t12

Hi my name is steve. i just saw this poll. I am 39 three years ago i suffered a l1 burst. i severed some nerves and compressed the rest of my cord. my cord also hemorraged and told i would not survive the night. when i did survive I was told with my damage i would never walk again. Long story short. I am a complete asia A paraplegic upgraded to t11 from t10. after a year I could walk with no assistance. i do have a limp on my right side. I can walk all day. sometimes i work 16 hour shifts as a transporter in a hospital. I still have not had bowel function or bladder or sexual function return. its very dissapointing. sometimes i ask myself what i want more.

We have 2 clients who have been working out at our facility for about a year and a half now. Both used to be complete T11/12 and now one is incomplete T11/12 and the other has been rediagnosed as incomplete L1/L2. Both were told they would never walk again or have function of their legs. Within the last 2 months we've been able to get both to stand and lockout their legs on their own and start walking and initiating and holding lockout. For both the standing and walking they are using the assistance of walkers or canes or parallel bars. One big reason for their success is their dedication- besides working out at our facility they do exercise on their own at home as well.