Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treadmill Training...UCLA

Treadmill Training...UCLA

Just wanted to get some opinions on what you all think about treadmill training. My wife, who is paraplegic, has recently been in contact with doctors at UCLA. They are currently looking for participants for treadmill training. I have read that others here have done this, is it worth persuing. Sounds like it might be very beneficial, especially now. Your opinions would be much appreciated.

Thank You

TEION,

I participated in treadmill training at the Miami Project for a few months. It was a great experience. The more she's on her feet, the better!

... ...

JLB,

What if any improvement did you see after the treadmill training, and how many hours per day did you you use the treadmill?

i was treated at thomas jefferson and magee rehabilitation in philly. a kid from penn state was there maybe 2yrs ago and the first game of the football season, he ran out on the field. DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to thank everyone that responded for your help. Just out of curiosity, do your think an FES bike is worth getting. Of course we are hoping to get it covered by insurance. How likely is that? Again thank you all.

jb my son was at both places from sept 15 to nov 20 2001 when were you there. did you do the treadmill

[This message was edited by foster on 01-19-03 at 23:22.]

Treion

I spent 7 months, most of 2001 as part of their human trial for locomotor/ body weight support treadmill training. I spent 3 to 5 hours a day, 5 days a week working with Dr. Harkema and her team. What happens in this lab is the SCI patient is suspended from an elaborate Body Weight Support System over a treadmill as the team manually moves your legs in a stepping motion. All the while and as much as possible the load of your full body weight is increased as well as the speed of the machine. The science here is that within your spinal cord there are locomotor Processors take over the mundane chores of moving you from point A to point B. For example, When you decide to get up and go for a drink of water, once the process is mentally initiated you don't have to think of putting one foot in front of the other to get there. Also that with repetitious movement the spinal cord can be retrained and learn. They were able to prove this point with myself and others participating in 2001. I was also their freshest kill so to speak being only 4 months post injury when I participated. The hardest part for me being a T4 was balance and trunk control. It was pretty grueling for me but I was always pushing myself as hard as I could and the team complied to see how heavy, far and fast I could go. There were times when once the stepping pattern was established, they would let go of my legs and I would continue walking. I think it was a very positive endeavor in that it got me up out of my chair, weight baring and using my lower extremities. Also part of my protocol was to free stand with a walker, which I continue to do to this day. I will say however that you must understand this is a research program, and like all research programs there are specific goals in mind. The main goal is their goalwhich may or may not be yours. And i'm sure they may be different now than when I was there. I don't know where you live but in my case I moved to LA from Colorado. There was no cost to participate in the program but living in Westwood village was not cheap. You do however have Hollywood and the movie industry literally right under your nose for whatever that's worth. The long and short of it is that your wife like the rest of us SCI victims wants to have her life back. The current thinking is that you have to get SCI people up and moving ASAP. I agree with this model. Now 28 Months post I have had a lot of improvement in my recovery. I have done UCLA as well as many other therapies outside the box, but I am still living with this mobile prison cell called a wheelchair. I do get up and walk around now with braces and a walker each day and I think this program influenced my gains to date. The folks @ UCLA are a great bunch of dedicated people and I still stay in touch with them from time to time. I do however think Project Walk might be a bigger bang for the buck! I have done a visit there and they have a similar approach in many ways to UCLA. The big difference in the two is that PW's agenda is to get you walking and functioning again. They aren't a research environment and their only agenda is to fulfill your goals. But PW is not free. A good value but not free. Since they are coloring outside the lines of conventional medicine, insurance will probably not help much either. I have not gone to PW yet as I am considering the removal of my rods in the near future while I still have good insurance coverage. In any event, I hope this helps some. Either way, if you don't use it, you loose it and UCLA can provide a modality to get your wife up and moving. In the same time helping to provide research data that could be beneficial to all SCI patients as well as herself.

Good luck!

Chris

Are any of you who have done the treadmil training quads?

cpaulm, thanks very much for sharing your experience. Wise.

Teion - I find my FES bike is incredibly valuable. It has dramatically improved my overall health. Christopher Reeve stopped doing the treadmill training but continues riding his FES bike. It's doing great things for him.

I'm sure treadmill training is better for incompletes who want to improve their walking ability. If I were incomplete and able to take a few steps I'd probably prefer treadmill training.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~