Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: riding bicycle vs walking

riding bicycle vs walking

I would think it would be easier to ride a bicycle than to walk if you are incomplete enough to peddle. Once you moving, wouldn't balance be less of an issue?

Anyone here try riding a bicycle? Is it easier/harder than walking?

Talk with Dogger

He's incomplete and rides a bicycle.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

How about this instead

riding a push bike

mike , i can ride a pushbike but it gets a bit exciting sometimes . i don't have good enough hands to use the brakes and stopping is fun , my legs aren't strong enough to co ordinate stopping and putting my feet down . also i had forgotten how uncomfortable a bike seat is .

''the gravel rashed bike rider''
    dogger

My son, 20, incomplete T12, has just started riding an ordinary bicycle 14 months after his accident. He can balance well (many prior years of BMX-ing has probably helped in that regard) and has no trouble cycling or even putting his feet down to stop, it's the getting on & off that's difficult as he has minimal feeling in his left foot. He has designs to eventually cycle on the roads after lots of practice in the park first, and as his mum I am scared stiff of such a situation. He's an independent adult and I try hard to not interfere and to encourage him to have a go at things but this issue is a contentious one for us. He's a together sort of guy for the most part and I do trust him but .... etc etc.

Any comments on any of this would be appreciated.

Mum

Mum

Life is what happens to us while we're making other plans. - John Lennon

getting on and off ?

Mum , that is the easy part , lay the bike on the ground then step over the frame , up near the forks where it is narrowest and simply pick the bike up . getting off reverse the proceedure .getting disentangled from the infernal machine after i fall over while still mounted is a different story , one that normally includes language that would ''make a bullock driver blush ''! mum at least your son will be able to use the brakes when necessary , when i come to a bit of downhill road all i can do is ''screw down tight '' [isn't it unusual the way a bike on a slightly descending slope accelerates like a piano falling over a cliff ? ] and hope both my mount and i are both still travelling in close proximity at the bottom .

from the mostly out of control pushbike rider
    dogger

I wonder if it would be much easier for an incomplete to ride a bicycle than to walk? I would think pedalling is easier to accomplish than ambulation. yes/no?

riding

Mike

Once I got my quads and hams firing, I purchased a 3 wheel adult trike. I had my welder build me some foot plates and my wife built the straps. I was able to ride it for 30 min in about 10 days then after that the muscles built up quite quickly.

At the time of being able to peddle I was still unable to walk as the bike requires no weight bearing on the leg muscles just peddleing it. I truly believe it was the ability to ride the bike that allowed me to start to ambulate with AFO braces. It built up the leg muscles to a point where they could support my weight. ( a slight 200# 6'1" frame)

I can now ride the bike 10 miles in 45 minutes over all kinds of paved terrain (small hills). I can post a picture if you want to see it.

Next summer I hope to have enough strength that I can use a regular bike and be able to get me feet to the ground before it tips over during a stop. I hope to use peddle clips to hold my feet on the peddles.

I modified a recumbant stationary bike for in the house during the winter. I still am working out 8 times per week and the progress is really starting to show.

I used to crap my pants everytime I tried to stand due to the muscle strain now that the muscles are stronger they don't need to strain so much and I can stand with out having to check the back door for those great surpises.

Go forth and exercise as much as you can!

Jim

mkowalski: Knowing that he'd probably say yes, I asked my son today whether it was easier to pedal than to walk and he did say yeah, much easier. Sitting down he doesn't have to bear his own weight. He wouldn't be able to ride standing up at this stage.

Dogger: Ok, I'm now worrying about you as well as my son!! Thanks for the tip re getting on and off though - no-one in my family had thought of that one and we'll now give it a go.

sci pilot: I'll show my son your post .... he moved into his own flat a few months ago and has an exercise bike in the living room which he's become bored with, and yet he knows from his own experiences at the spinal unit that regular use of it can really help build muscle.

(I'm posting for him because the web isn't really his thing and he's always busy doing something else anyway).

You all put me to shame. I'm able bodied and perfectly capable of getting on a bike to exercise but I'm too fat & lazy to do it. A good knuckle-rapping for me, I think ....

Mum

Life is what happens to us while we're making other plans. - John Lennon

Might I suggest adding a helmet made for bikers while you're all out there relearning to ride? I mean to get going again only to wind up with a brain injury from a cracked noggin', well, seems a tad unfair. Our county just passed a law that all bike riders under 18 must wear a cycling helmet.

Mum, back when I had a desk job and was putting a few double bacon cheeseburgers on the hips I put a stationary bike in the rec room with my stereo. Just start by riding as long as your favorite current song. Any exercise is better than none. Say a little something by John Lennon??

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."