Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Your Own Recovery Program

Forget it. I just found out that equipment such as modified elliptical trainers would never be allowed in a clinic over here without extensive safety testing, official stamps of approval and other mountains of paperwork. Germany is legendary when it comes to beurocracy.

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

For those of you interested in exercise equipment, don't bother with any electrical device approved by the FDA. If you want to know why, read the posting "The joke of electrotherapy." See the web site cited there, www.galvanism.org You will get a different take on the exercise thing and the use of electricity. It would help if you knew some physics. Be aware that there are lots of scam artists out there pushing exercise machines that they themselves don't use because they don't work. Want to know why? The reason is quite simple, but a number of issues are involved which have historical roots going back to the late nineteenth century. Keep your money.

FES does work for those that are candidates for the use of it. I can highly recommend FES, I have seen great positive changes within my own body after using a FES bike for the last 3 years after 20 years of t-4 complete paralysis.

Bruno,
    Your web site is great and your story is so inspirational.
    Is there any way you can add to your web site to put any of it in English. I sent you an email.

Keep up the good work

Jai

Chris - expand this into a Power Point presentation and you have a lecture series!! I took copious notes and bookmarked links - thank you. I mentioned the balance ball to my PT today and I'm printing out the product page but could you explain in more detail HOW a para (say, oh T4) might put it to use? Thanx again!

For upper body I highly recommend the bowflex versatrainer. It doesn't have the range of motion of free weights but it does give you a good workout and if you balance your pulling exercises with your pushing you still get a good stretch.

I would like to do something for my lower body too but haven't been able to find a facility with an FES yet. In the mean time I've been trying to go with my spasms instead of fighting them.

When my leg kicks out I try to mentally hold my leg up and I seem to be having success. I'm able to hold the leg out longer than if I just let it go on its own. Thus, I'm gaining a mild form of control. My legs don't seem to atrophying for my efforts. By the way I'm T1 T2.

Barakabushad "May the blessings be"

THIS IS FOR KURT ABOUT THE FES BIKE . i wanted to know if the bike restored any muscle for you ? i had a huge lost of muscle tone in the legs all hanging skin . WILL IT BRING IT BACK TO WHAT THEY WERE BEFORE I HAVE BEEN INJURED NOW FOR 7 YEARS AND THE LAST 2 YEARS LOST EXTREME AMOUNTS OF MUSCLE hanging skin all over . Please email me or anyone out there that has this situation about the hanging skin with the legs like not just a little alot. Mi0319@aol.com PLEASE I NEED HELP

Milene, great to see you posting.

FES will definitely increase the size of your legs. My legs are much bigger than before using the FES bike. It sounds like you must have lost a lot of weight in addition to lost muscle mass. I think able bodied people who lose a lot of weight experience the same thing as you where they now have a lot of extra skin. I'm sure it's fairly common. There must be information about it somewhere. Increasing the size of your legs with FES will probably help. As will the exercise and muscle strengthening itself.

Here are some links:

http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

http://publicaffairs.uth.tmc.edu/hle...HEALTH/050322/

~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Originally posted by Jeff:

Milene, great to see you posting.

FES will definitely increase the size of your legs. My legs are much bigger than before using the FES bike. It sounds like you must have lost a lot of weight in addition to lost muscle mass. I think able bodied people who lose a lot of weight experience the same thing as you where they now have a lot of extra skin. I'm sure it's fairly common. There must be information about it somewhere. Increasing the size of your legs with FES will probably help. As will the exercise and muscle strengthening itself.

Here are some links:

http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

http://publicaffairs.uth.tmc.edu/hle...HEALTH/050322/

~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/wavey.gif ~

bump for mr coffee and others.

Hopefully this information's helpful.