Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Your Own Recovery Program

Chris,

Chris
    I have posted a few questions and things on here regarding excercise. My boyfriend is a T-4 Complete para. And i would like to see him be a little more active than he is. I know there are excersise but i need someone to tell me specifics about them and how to do them and how i can help because being he can't move his legs. Please help me out--i know there are web sites and info i can look up but i would like to hear it from someone that has been experimenting or working out with the equipment and stuff---Right now we don't have a home gym or anything but we're planning on purchasing one..Please can you help....I can hardly get him on the standing machine that he has at home. He wants to start working out but he doesn't understand and know how to start. His upper body is awesome (due to him pushing the wheelchair all the time) and he's pretty satisfied with that part. He would like to start working his legs and stomach more. Plus i'm sure it will help with his circulation. Can you help... Thanks a bunch Amber

deb, can home health come and help w/the treadmill?

jb,

My physical therapist does the treadmill work with me. I still have OT and PT that comes to my home 3 days a week. They are from a Home Health Care group. I think that answered your question. Now I have a great PT who really knows what she is doing. You need to make sure whomever you work with knows what they are doing as well. CR broke his leg doing treadmill work so be very careful.

Deb

Here's the link to the Flexiciser. Provides independent range of motion and can help prevent joint contractures.

http://www.flexiciser.com

Looking for info on equipment...

Hi everyone this is my first ahhhh don't know where to look post..I'm a t-12 para and currently my pt., is on hold due to transportion issues..Right now my muscle tone etc., is degenerating quit rapidly in my calfs and I'm seeking information on where to purchase an electric pedle (like bike) machine..I know what I want but I don't know where to look for this piece of equipment..I would appreciate any info or guidance or better yet the wisdom I know you've aquired about equipment etc...looking forward to seeing your responce..Thanks so much!!!
    ps., this forum is amazing and extremely informative

~Smile and pass it on~

What are you looking for and what is your ability? You say you are loosing muscle tone, this is normal due to your muscles not being used. Are you looking for FES? Or a manual bike? We need more info please.....

Hi littlecanoe, are you looking for FES StimBike? Please look up website www.electrologic.com and you can also contact Heather at email address heather@electrologic.com. Please make sure you confirm with Heather whether you are the right candidate for the Bike! Good luck! Suzanne

Chris,
    Thank you for your info. it is valuable. Providing the links really helps, too.
    Cathy

rtr, I have an elliptical/harness setup currently so there is no need for a therapist once I'm in position. The walking/gaiting pattern is very close to normal. My feet are held in via snowboard bindings and I'm hoisted by a Guldman lift. Lower myself, hit the button and we're stepping/walking.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck.
    Chris,
    Are you using the Startrac Natural Runner as your elliptical trainer? When you say you just hit the button and your stepping/walking, have you had to modify the elliptical trainer to do this, or does this model have a built in program that passivly move your legs for you...at the push of a button. I need some help finding exactly this type of trainer that you are using because I´m buying equipment for the PT/Neuro clinic I´m setting up and I think a harness/elliptical trainer with the capabilities that yours has, is an essential, and not to mention excellent, piece of therapy equipment. Thanks.

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer