Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Your Own Recovery Program

bump for skier and jim.

Chris,
    Nobody is responding, except you talking to yourself. I say you move this to the private topics forum. The manipulation of these threads does not lend itself to the sharing of information. So Phebus/Chris look up the word moderator, then let this one go.

I was injured in July of 1987 and I think that I started to learn how to walk again in January of 1989. I am an incomplete injury and I started to visit one of the local sporting good stores. My first purchase was a stationary bicycle. A few months later I ordered a BX1000 EMS machine from a company called Bloomex, which is now located in New Jersey. Shortly after I arrived home from the hospital, I decided that I would get down on the floor and try to start crawling; thinking that this is how babies begin and perhaps I could retrain my nerves in a similar sort of way. I also purchased a Universal Gym and I strengthened my upper body as best I could by doing sit-ups, lat pull-downs and butterflies. When I first started walking I had my AFOs on and my walker with arm troughs, along with a PT belt. In the beginning it would take me about an hour to go 45 feet and I would start at the left corner of the parking lot and end up at the right corner of the parking lot. Working out 6 hours everyday I was eventually able to cover the 45 feet in about 2 minutes and this took about three or four months.
    I always had to look down at my feet because I did not know where they were, but that changed about a year and a half later. Now I no longer need to look at my feet when I walk and I have a better sense of where they are than I did before. However, if I was lying down I know I would still have a difficult time knowing exactly where my legs and feet were, unless I was looking right at them.

By the way, I can no longer do 6 hours of rehab everyday and I have had to cut back to about two and a half hours. I reached a plateau a long time ago.

Last edited by PN; 08-14-2009 at 09:12 PM.

I wonder if an elliptical trainer would work better than a treadmill. The movement is more "normal," less wobbly, and helpers can't place your feet so randomly.

You can attach shoes to the foot pedals to eliminate the need for someone to place your feet. Of course, if you fall sideways you'd break an ankle. Guess I should think about that a little more.

Has anyone tried using a support harness and an elliptical trainer?

Meeker, thanks for the input. Love you too..

rtr, I have an elliptical/harness setup currently so there is no need for a therapist once I'm in position. The walking/gaiting pattern is very close to normal. My feet are held in via snowboard bindings and I'm hoisted by a Guldman lift. Lower myself, hit the button and we're stepping/walking.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck.

rtr,

I use an elliptical trainer with a harness. The way we work it is as follows:

PT lifts me in harness
    Slide trainer underneath
    Tape my feet to pedals
    Wrap my hands around handlebars
    PT gets on trainer behind me and holds my hips
    PT and me push on pedals while I also pull with hands

This definitely helps with building legs, stamina and upper body strength. I don't however think that this is the best to pattern walking as you are bending over too much.

Good luck.

Deb

bump - for The Mom

ChrisD..can you direct me to your progress report on your tendon transplant? Im considering similar and wanted to read up a bit on yours. Also, I have some questions. Thx!

chick,

check the "Care" forum for the topic "Quad hand surgery...my journey". I'll bump it for you.

Sorry I hadn't seen your post earlier.

Hello, my name is Bruno, I´m from Spain and I have a personal web page where I put some good xercises for spinal cord injuried persons. in www.brunez.com

MY LEGS DO NOT SUPPORT YET, BUT MY LIFE GOES ON!!

My life runs through fields enjoying freedom, my eyes walk along your face looking for a smile, as well as my brain overcomes any champion of athletics enjoying the fact of being alive and being able to appreciate so many people and so many things... And taking another step, my imagination flies through all the places of the earth. My legs do not support me today, some day they will do it again. Hopefully I have my chair that gets me everywhere meanwhile, and this way living, knowing, loving, laughing and crying I continue in this world full of people and unforgettable moments.

Bruno F. Merlo