Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Your Own Recovery Program

Bumping this up by request.

Another therapy to explore is www.hydrowerx.com

Aqua based.

Great topic! I'm a quad with limited movement in legs and arms - enough to give me hope, but not very functional at the moment (16 months post injury). My insurance only allows 60 days of outpatient therapy per year, so I knew that I would have to come up with my own program.

My wife assists me with many exercises in my wheelchair and in bed. We also have several pieces of equipment to help us out. Our insurance paid for a LiteGait which I use with a treadmill we already owned. I purchased a refurbished Schwinn Johnny G. spinning bike, removed the seat, and installed my road bike pedals. This way, I can transfer to a chair behind the bike and use biking shoes to hold my feet in place. I also purchased a hand cycle to work my arms.

My wife recently found a Smith 3000 multipurpose gym on sale for $300. I use this for various strength training exercises, many of which I can access from my wheelchair.

We just recently found a pool that has a lift. It's about a half hour away, but we are going to try to get there about twice a week.

So, I guess I've got enough to keep me busy every day! Some days are a challenge because I get physically tired, but I just try to take it easy on those days. It would be nice to go to a structured program like Project Walk, but that's just not possible.

I have benefited from all this work by having increased strength and better health. I can stand on my own for longer and longer periods of time. Transfers are a lot easier. If any of you would like to see some pictures, check out my web site: briansternberg.com

Twenty years post injury in have tried to keep myself in shape using various means. My impetus for getting on this site was primarily in search of finding a good workout, that took into consideration nutrition, weight lifting, and FES.

I am happy to report that last week I started at the Nuero Institute in Tempe, AZ. Man I ached like I haven't since two-a-days in high school football. It feels GREAT!!!! I'm riding the FES Bike, getting stimmed on the box for abs and paraspinals, and lifting. Arnie is now working on helping me put together a good diet to compliment my training.

The next step is getting on the gait trainer.

BTW: I still swim and work out on my Schwinn Aerodyne hand bike at home for cardio.

After only one week I already feel better and have more energy

how are you supposed to try to walk if harnessed on a treadmill? i'm thinking of buying a harness and treadmill but i don't understand how it works. i have some leg movement but not enough.

Yianni,

You will need to have a physical therapist move your feet for you as you concentrate on moving them with your therapist. The theory is that the repetition will aid your lower cord to remember how to walk.

Deb

Where you get the harness for the gait training? I have the rest. You can contact me at juliez@cfl.rr.com Julie Z

I like the one listed below. It has to be a little tight around your stomach but it works for me.

Harness
    www.grainger.com - confined space harness - medium - 10810 - $158.15

Deb

which guldman lift would you recommend?

Bumping this up for newer members checking out the Exercise forum.