Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Walk Press Release

Chris,

You mentioned in a previous post that you had worked out at Project Walk and plan on returning. I don't remember how long you were there. Could you please share with us what type of exercises you did at PW and any recovery (or sign of recovery) you saw.

Thank you, Jan

P.S. I agree, we all need to keep an open mind. No sense discarding a therapy before it even has a chance to prove itself, one way or the other. And as far as I'm concerned, ANY return is an accomplishment and should be celebrated.

Jan,

I was at PW from 09/09 - 09/14. I did spend one day the previous week just checkin' it out and talking to people. Something I would recommend before starting a workout.

Workouts; When I got to PW on the 9th (my session started at 10:00am) I immediately got on the floor/mat. Range of motion / stretching to begin. Then a variety of strength tests for balance, coordination, function and stabilization. Push-ups, medicine ball exercises, abdominal, lower back, bridging. For example, we used a product from www.bosu.com to facilitate some of the exercises. This was intensive and lasted about 2 1/2 hours.

After lunch it was on to the total gym (www.totalgym.com) for assisted leg presses as well as 'lat'strengthening exercises. Then to the spin-bike for 15mins - 1/2 hour (its amazing to ride a spin bike with no motor control of your legs. By using a hip to hip side to side motion and zero resistance I was able to "spin". Talk about a high!) Lastly I was harnessed in and hoisted above an elliptical trainer (also called a natural runner www.startrac.com) and had my feet positioned and locked down with snowboard bindings. Pressed the button and I was 'walking'. Did that for about an hour.

Day 2-4 was the same although the variations were different, as well as the sequence and duration.

I need to get going but let me end with this. The exercises and equipment at PW are easily repeatable and achievable within your own home. You are not paying, necessarily, for the equipment at PW. What you are paying for is the customization of YOUR workouts to achieve YOUR goals which may be different than the next person (strength, balance, coordination is different for everyone). You're paying for the experience, guidance, camaraderie, motivation and support. And besides are you going to kick your own butt for 5hrs a day, 5 days a week for however long it takes? Personally, I find it very difficult to do it on my own.

Barring any unscheduled problems, I'm scheduled to go and start my recovery program in January.

Hope I answered your question(s)?

Onward and Upward!

Chris,

I understand why you feel the need to defend Project Walk, I fully support them also.

Bringing Rus up in your response to Andrea, was not cool man. Andrea is a strong and intelligent woman who thinks and speaks on her own. Rus has nothing to do with it.

peace, jim

... ...

Chris

I have no voluntary movement below my T-4 injury level 6 months post. However, I have regained some sensation below my injury level, i.e. some abs, hip sensation, etc. Does PW accept, and most importantly, achieve gains with individuals similiar to myself? You've been there and talked with people, so what's your take?

Thanks, Jim. Rus and I have never even discussed Project Walk! And, believe it or not, I *am* able to think for myself. Sorry if you construed what I posted as "defensive". I was just offering my opinion. Good for you, Chris ~ I hope you improve. As for me -- I'll keep an open mind and keep doing the same thing you are...but, for free

Andrea

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. ~Albert Einstein

And as far as the "big bucks" are concerned, I agree...6-figures is nothing. I'd hand over everything I have in exchange for my life back.

Good luck w/everything

A.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. ~Albert Einstein

Schmeky,

Yes, as a T4 or really any injury PW can try to help you. In fact as I think about it about half the clients at PW were/are paras and the other half quads.

Additionally, I would guess that most of us who were diagnosed as 'complete' and that are now 'incomplete' have either gotten improvement naturally or through exercise (my case).

My experience at PW was that every client I met was diagnosed 'complete' and is now 'incomplete'.

Go for it!

Onward and Upward!

asskisser

Originally posted by JLB:

Keep kickin SCI's ASS Snowman!

peace, jim

you work forp

... ...
    you work for pj walk.

Website and more...

Has Project Walk's web site been down? I have not been able to get into it for some time. I think project walk would work better for people who do not live in the area if there was an organized bording & transportation arangement i.e. arranged room mates, etc. I agree that that the cost for the therapy is worth the quality of therapy you get; however, Carlesbad is a high rent district...meaning for the most of us, the other members of the family need to stay in their home town to work and pay for the therapy, room and board, etc. Has Project Walk looked into converting a nearby building into a dormatory? This could be more equitable for your business and attract more people from out of the area? Also, how about franchising your company?

T-bone, smart thinking.

When I was there and talking to Ted he genuinely understands the issues of relocation, etc. Ultimately, in a perfect setting, there would be a "campus" atmosphere with housing (maybe a dormitory), nursing / aide staff, a cafeteria, pool, etc. Being that its still in its infancy PW has a long way, if they choose, to go inm terms of expansion and other services. As of now PW is more concerned with results. Obviously with results comes opportunity to expand.

You're right though it is a relatively high rent district.

If anyone happened to catch 60 Minutes last night. There was a great piece about the company SAS in NC and the myriad of services they provide their employees. I sat there imagining such a place for CNS recovery. Maybe someday.

Btw, I think they're trying to update their site. Sometimes trying .org vs .com seems to work. Give it a try.
    Onward and Upward!