Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Personal Gait Training System

Personal Gait Training System

I've given quite a few of our members the following info. Others have also asked for this info. I need to warn all of you not to use the industrial harness from Maine Anti-Gravity. This harness has hurt my shoulder given it supports only under your arms. Instead go to www.e-zwalker.com and find a harness that looks like theirs.

Deb

Another Care/Cure member suggested I buy an Proform Ellipital trainer instead of a treadmill. This allows you to use your arms to move your legs. I bought the Proform 505S for $330. Website is www.buychoice.com/buychoice/statics/ellipitals. Obviously this will only work for quads that have arm strength and paras. For quads w/o arm strength use a treadmill.

Regarding the hoist, my fiance built one. Basically it is just a modified engine hoist. You hook the safety harness up to the hoist and raise up your body until you aren't supporting all your weight. Look at websites that show gait training and have someone modify the engine hoist to match the lift. I'll post a picture of the one Wayne built as soon as my new harness comes in.

Let me know if you need more info.

Debbie7

HI

Originally posted by Debbie7:

I've given quite a few of our members the following info. Others have also asked for this info. I need to warn all of you not to use the industrial harness from Maine Anti-Gravity. This harness has hurt my shoulder given it supports only under your arms. Instead go to http://www.e-zwalker.com and find a harness that looks like theirs.

Deb

Another Care/Cure member suggested I buy an Proform Ellipital trainer instead of a treadmill. This allows you to use your arms to move your legs. I bought the Proform 505S for $330. Website is http://www.buychoice.com/buychoice/statics/ellipitals. Obviously this will only work for quads that have arm strength and paras. For quads w/o arm strength use a treadmill.

Regarding the hoist, my fiance built one. Basically it is just a modified engine hoist. You hook the safety harness up to the hoist and raise up your body until you aren't supporting all your weight. Look at websites that show gait training and have someone modify the engine hoist to match the lift. I'll post a picture of the one Wayne built as soon as my new harness comes in.

Let me know if you need more info.

Debbie7
    hi , i couldnt find it. ?

Harness

Debbie

We are currently using both the Maine Anti-Gravity System and a harness from Biodex. Both work very well for our clients. If the Maine harness is properly fitted it should not ride up under the arms, however, we have found that it is uncomfortable for our female clients as it constricts the chest too much.

Eric Harness,CSCS
    Project Walk

Harness

The harness is utterly critical. The best locomotion harness comes from Germany. Don't even think about buying another type of harness if your serious about proper locomotion therapy.

http://www.meb.uni-bonn.de/wernig/harness.htm

http://graulab.tamu.edu/NewsItems/NY-Times.Article.html

HARNESS FOR REHABILITATION Security and body weight support during rehabilitation treatment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This harness was specially developed for "Laufband" therapy with body weight support and is well suited for most severly paralyzed patients not capable of standing.

It can be used in different disabilities like:

Spinal cord damage (incomplete para- and tetraplegia)
    Hemiplegia following stroke
    Brain damage
    Other CNS diseases like MS, neurodegenerative diseases
    Peripheral (flaccid) paralyzes including Guillain-Barré-Syndrome, Cauda lesion
    Rehabilitation of orthopedic diseases
    General reconvalescence and weakness due to geriatric conditions
    This harness provides high variability due to the separation into two parts (chest and pelvis parts) allowing tilting of the body.
    Chest part alone may be used as safety device for patients who do not any longer need body weight support.

Adjustments of posture can be made with the harness fixed and under load. Even under conditions of total body weight support during locomotion no punctual pressure occurs.

Rump stabilization is maintained by specially designed horizontal and vertical straps. Good lateral stabilization due to proportions of the pelvis part.

This harness is available in 3 sizes (small, medium and large).

Harnesses for children are also available.

http://www.bonmed.com/

Please note: Buying or using a cheaper harness could result in pressure sores or rashes. The horizontal and vertical straps are designed for female and male patients comfortably.
    The Lokomat harness was also designed by Brigitte Wernig.

[This message was edited by Arturo on Oct 08, 2002 at 01:20 PM.]

[This message was edited by Arturo on Oct 08, 2002 at 03:44 PM.]

Mad,

What couldn't you find?

Deb

Eric and Arturo, thanks for the additional info.

Thanks for the info Arturo. I emailed Germany and I think it will cost $673 US converted from EURO dollars. I'm hoping they will be able to take a credit card. Also, regarding the message I got from Project Walk regarding the harness I bought from Maine Anti-gravity it still doesn't work for me. My PT tried it as did my fiance qnd it kept slipping up under our shoulders. Maybe it is the way we are wearing it. If others want to give it a try then I say go for it. I would like it if you could post a picure of one of your clients wearing one at Project Walk.

Thanks,

Deb

Debbie,

I understand your concerns regarding safety, comfort, slipping, pressure sores and rashes. I've tried 6 different harnesses during the last 2 years including biodex, litegait, etc. I am sure you'll be happy with Wernig's harness. By the way, Brigitte Wernig designed wedding gowns for Jacqueline Kennedy Onnasis and Audrey Hepburn when she was younger.

http://www.bonmed.com/

Tallness is of little relevance.

Size Waist Body weight
    1 28" approximately Up to 120 pounds
    2 40" approximately Up to 160 pounds
    3 More More

Medium size (2) may be regarded as standard.

For the reason of optimal fit during BWS the upper and lower parts of the harness are separated, allowing eventually mix of different sizes depending on the figure of the patient.

[This message was edited by Arturo on Oct 09, 2002 at 06:32 PM.]

[This message was edited by Arturo on Oct 09, 2002 at 06:33 PM.]

Thanks again Arturo. I just ordered the harness.

Deb

Deb,

Is this the link you mean... http://www.buychoice.com/landing.cfm/237,ellipticals,XX

I take it you mean the device on the bottom of the page?