Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: My Experience At Project Walk

Chris, thanks for the update!

The project sounds very exciting.

You mentioned that project walk will work with flaccid muscle. Mine below the injury are all completely flaccid. Do you know how they are working with deinnervated, flaccid muscle - how can you really exercise a flaccid muscle? Other than the use of extremely high-powered electric stim and maybe braces or other orthotic devices, what's left?

Thanks, Jan

Thanks Chris

I also have the super flaccid muscle below my injury site. I have the lower motor neuron damage. Do you think the PW people can help with the flacid muscles?

Im a complete t4/t5 para.....

I have no feeling or use of anything below the point of injury. Fortunetly i can afford this type of treatment and iam willing to do whatever it takes to get back on my feet. Do u suggest i get there asap? I would gladly put my life on hold for as long as necessary to get back on my feet.

Thanx
    Brian

Project Walk

Chris, Did you fly out or drive? Where did you stay at? Very informative post thank you for keeping everyone updated. Judy K

Chris, all I can say is, I can't believe it until I see hard, scientific evidence. In other words, a clinical trial that documents results. If I believed it worked, I'd find a way to do it. Meanwhile, I'm trying to pay my rent, etc etc. 12 years post, I don't see it working for me, at least not with the little hearsay and no scientific documentation that I've seen. I mean, where's the explanation of HOW it works? If it works so well, why isn't some company funding a study?

So, I'll wait and see what happens with Project Walk. I don't care if you or anyone else thinks I'm wasting my life. You don't know me. My attitude wasn't directed at you, Chris. It was directed at Project Walk, and what I see as a pipedream, money-making scheme. If it turns out I'm wrong, great. Until then, I'll try and live my life as I see fit, and I don't need people like you acting like you've found the Holy Grail and I'm an idiot for doubting it. So, I'm a "Doubting Thomas". So, I'm cautious with my hopes. So, I don't jump at the first thing that claims "recovery". So f*cking what. I can wait a while to see evidence that concinces ME before I go on some quixotic quest, thanks.

With that, I'm out of this thread. Good luck to those of you pursuing Project Walk. I hope I'm wrong, for your sake.

~Rus

"...you're not promised tomorrow, so live for today" (Stuck Mojo)

Chris, I checked out the Project Walk website and found out that it is NOT for everyone. In a different thread you said that we all have it in us to heal ourselves. The truth is, many of us don't. According to Project Walk's website, the best client is:
    1. Injured less than a year, but no more than 2 years.
    2. INCOMPLETE with C5 or below.
    3. Movement in arms.
    4. Some feeling/sensation and/or movement in lower extremities
    etc, etc.
    This program is CLEARLY not for me, and many, many others here. It's wonderful if it has helped you and others, but it's very limited in the number of people it can help, and I think that's an important thing that has been left out here.

"Is everyone a candidate for Project Walk? No. It's got to be selective and individual."
    Another words you need to be incomplete and then when you regain some new movement your put up on one of their pedestals as some kind of miracle. 25 years ago people were flying to Russia for the same treatment. This is nothing new.

Beaker's reply says it all, I should have went to their site first. Good luck to those recently injuried, if you can afford it, it should help.

Originally posted by Snowman:

_Look for a very important post in the near future._

Project Walk will be making an announcement in the near future in regards to an upcoming research/collaboration project with a university.

Eric Harness,CSCS
    http://www.projectwalk.org

Great!

For what it's worth, I correspond with a gentleman who I believe is very reliable and objective. His daughter, who was originally diagnosed a complete, has been at PW for several months, she now is definitely incomplete, as the following excerpt indicates.

"Her doctors were totally impressed with her progress and Project Walk. One stated that Project Walk was the most significant therapy program going on today in the sci community. She was originally diagnosed as C6 Complete but has already improved to C8-T1 incomplete. They've decided to start a research program with PW to investigate why they are getting the results that they are."

I do not believe that PW, McDonald's bike (actually he copied someone else's design), or any rehab can regenerate the spinal cord...certainly not to any significant degree. However, I'm fully convinced that many of us, completes and incompletes, retain recoverable neural circuits long after injury that are needlessly dysfuntional due to metabolic impairment, the disruption of electrical potentials, chronic inflammation, or a section of the cord remaining in spinal shock. In my mind no other reason could explain reports of functional improvement years after the injury was thought to have permanently stablized. (note: the retraining of the brain to use existing neural circuits other than those originally used might explain very slow, very gradual improvements. But reports of people getting sensation, then movement in their toes, which quickly spreads to their feet and legs must be due to other factors affecting the existing cord.

As Reeve and other have shown, certain rehab techniques can yield functional results long after this mythical window has supposedly closed. But if the result of such therapies are due to anything other than retraining the brain, repetitious rehab would be the least effective way of affecting this change (although for the present it's all we've got!).

James Kelly