Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: My Experience At Project Walk

Welcome back, Chris, and thanks for the 'review'! As I beleive Seneca said, this seems to support the news of CR's recoveries, and hopefully will be a major step in combination therapies in the not too distant future!

Chris, Are you saying

you actually saw paralyzed paras and quads stand and walk w/o any physical or mechanical assistance? If so,please describe a couple of people including some history ie.how complete/incomplete and prior LOF while paralyzed.
    Thanks.

Claire

nothing on tv...

Chris,
    Why didn t we see anything about it on tv news ? Do they keep it secret for the moment?

Thx for your update

Jan, Scorpion, others

Jan, The trainers at PW will work with all muscle types. They prefer spasticity to flacid but it doesn't really matter. Like you, I've tried to work with and around my spasticity to no avail. At PW spasticity is used to your advantage.

Scorpion, Typically I have shown you respect on your posts. But given your sarcasm and egocentric attitude towards me and my experience you obviously aren't giving me the same. So, what I'll say is this - You're dead WRONG. It's not about "Will" and its not a scheme. It's a real place with real people injured like you and I but getting better with help from physical therapists and not scientists. The 'hard data' is that a C4 motor complete quad who's 4yrs post and been there two months is able to stand up. I saw him do it. Six months from now, who knows? You want to knock it, go ahead. That just means that someone else is recovering faster than you. And as far as the money goes we all have to make decisions in our life concerning things we want and how bad we want them. If you don't feel its worth the investment of time, money and career don't give it a second thought. Go back to your "cure in my lifetime" post and wait. Those at PW are not waiting they're going after it. They have found a way to make it happen. Example, one client sleeps in his car instead of paying for an apartment so he can afford the therapy.

Jeremy, there are many exercises they do for hand and wrist strength / function. Fingers, something I also struggle with, are another matter. Many of the clients gave me suggestions such as stretching, straightening, curling, hanging weights, various splints, etc. Useful function is relative. Personally, sfter a full day of using my hands my fingers spasmed much more than usual.

Onward and Upward!

jan my son ryans calf are 15" and quads are 22" and pw loves them. he is not the only one with legs like that. i don't know if this helps.

scorpion i quit a job after 21 yrs there. my wife and other son are 3000miles away along with the rest of our family. if you want something you will figure away to do it.you will not believe untill you see for yourself no matter what chris or anyone else tells you. so before you say no way come see it for yourself.

claire mt son is a t9 who was told he was complete and on friday he walked 60 ft with two people under shoulders for balance and i would say that about 40 ft were good steps. today he walked about 80 ft with about 60 ft i would say were good.

Thanks Chris- this is great news. I'd be there in a second if I could afford it...but as a 20 year old Canadian, its not looking likely. I hope this idea spreads and a centre opens up in Canada. Good Luck in January!

Was good to finally meet you Chris!

I look forward to your return in January.

I do want to correct one statement you made. The client who was sleeping in his car (if it is who I am thinking of )was doing it because he bailed out of a bad roommate situation and was not able to find a place in the interim.

Insurance

We have developed and are continuing to refine consultative guidelines for requesting insurance coverage for PW. We currently have several clients who are or will be receiving insurance funding for our program.

Look for a very important post in the near future.

Project Walk will be making an announcement in the near future in regards to an upcoming research/collaboration project with a university.

Eric Harness,CSCS
    Project Walk

Kitty,

Ridicule, no. I was just stating the facts and I still stand, or sit, by my earlier post. I would not travel anywhere on your recommendation, and I think that you are the wrong messenger since you still support and endorse the criminals who operated the clinics in Utah and Idaho that were treating paralyzed patients with Neuralyn. By the way, you left out Nick Danger, aka Steve Crowder.

I am not going to criticize Project Walk because I do not have enough information to determine how effectively their brand of physical therapy works for people with spinal cord injuries. A good question was asked when it came to Project Walk's approach regarding the recovery of arm, hand, wrist, and finger function. If Project Walk is "The Real Deal," they will have to open new centers in different states to keep up with the demand. I would also like to see a national investigative news team visit Project Walk so we can get a more complete story about, understanding of, and report on its success. Is that too much to ask for?

At the present time my mind is open and my position on Project Walk is neutral. Kitty, if you can't stand the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen, which I think you already have.

Cheers, PN

http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.php?p=77242

Exact info should be given

I definitely think there is something to this. I would take Steve there in a minute if I could learn the program in two weeks enough to implement it at home. However, since Steve is still considered a T 3-4 complete(He has regained some sensory including bowel and bladder, but no motor), he is not a candidate for their program. I would rather put my time and resources into something local that might build into a similar project. One that does not exclude so called "complete" injuries. I feel this intense type of program could help all SCI persons to some degree.

Maybe people in each city could start their own program. Here in Houston, we could maybe all move into a big ol' caregiving/therapy hippy compound!

I can make enough Chicken & Dumplings or Beef Stew to feed about 50 people

Russ Byrd