Thread: Small step in battle to overcome spinal injuries

Small step in battle to overcome spinal injuries

Small step in battle to overcome spinal injuries

ALAN MacDERMID

THEY are small steps by most people's standards - but they are giant leaps for 14 patients pioneering a new treatment at the Scottish Spinal Injuries Unit.

With the aid of a harness, a treadmill, and electrodes wired to their legs, the paralysed patients are on the verge of walking again.

Success will crown 15 years of pioneering work by scientists at the Bio-Engineering Unit at Strathclyde University, and the doctors, nurses, and physiotherapists at the Queen Elizabeth spinal injuries unit at the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow.

Previous attempts at using electro-stimulation - on patients suffering complete severance of the spinal cord - have foundered.

The patients in the latest trial have some residual contact through the injury site, and a more realistic chance of benefiting from the treatment which combines the electro-stimulation and the treadmill exercises with physiotherapy.

"The idea is that we can tap into residual motor control and enhance it," said Dr Malcolm Granat, who is leading the trial. "There is a better potential, and if we can start the rehabilitation process early enough we hope this will restore the function of some of the neural circuits, though it will not provoke the growth of new ones."

The trial has been backed by an £80,000 grant from the Scottish Executive, and Dr Granat will soon present his results in the hope of getting more support.

Gillian Espie, 36, from Coatbridge, a patient who have been taking part in the trials, said : "I have had one course of treatment a day, and I can feel my legs a whole lot stronger. I am determined to walk out of here."

- Aug 9th

"If the wind could blow my troubles away. I'd stand in front of a hurricane."

Thanks for posting this Jeremy.

Intensity question

When these studies are conducted, does anyone know what intensity is used. I have a stimulator that I use on lower extremities (its only 98ma output). Just curious on the output(heard its around 140ma, that seems like an awful lot though) they are using. My experience is that my contractions are not as strong (when using the stim, probable due to surface patches)as when they occur naturally. After using the stim(I try to use it a couple times a week) the contractions that happen naturally have become stronger. I also ride an electric bike, not in conjunction with the stim though. Now the silly question. Has anyone (on these boards, not in clinic) tried creatine in conjunction with stims. I have read the studies on this board. Just wondering if anyone here has tried these in conjunction. I feel the creatine amount that is recomended is too much. Concerned about kidney problems(meaning making them(kidneys) worse than they already are. Been almost 22 years for me) Was thinking about 1-1/2 gram max(daily, split into 2 servings) of creatine , even though its under their scale recomended dossages. Thoughts, anyone? See the problem with me is, I'm just not willing to give up yet. I would rather go down in flames.