Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FES...a means to an end

The next possibility is a knee immobilizer. It will give me some freedom of movement to practice locking my legs and develop recruitment and muscle strength. But it will also assist me with locking my legs. Besides, I fairly tired of wearing body armour. It's too heavy...!

I am quite curious what a stim regimen does to voluntary recruitment over time. Common sense tells me there is no correlation. But one would expect that stimming the peripheral nerve would stop it from "shutting down" as is discussed in this forum.

Recently, I got a book on "Thereputic modalities" There is a whole section of the book dedicated to stimming denervated muscle for the purpose of preventing atrophy till such time as the peripheral nerves heal.

Eric Texley

Does anyone have any idea about the dynamics of a stim current which are required to keep a muscle contracted for a long period of time? My experience with my stim is that I can keep my quads contracted for maybe a minute. After that, the muscle will no longer stay contracted. Of course, this is fatigue since all of the fibers in the muscle would not normally remain contracted that the same time. But how could you arrange a stim that would maintain a contraction--for, say, standing?

Eric Texley

Eric, the main reason why stimulators and other devices are expensive is because they are all low-volume. Companies can afford to ramp up manufacturing and lower costs when they make millions of televisions, radios, and other consumer goods. They don't have to get FDA approval or establish safety. Also, there are many Mom-and-Pop operations, companies with 10 or 20 people working in them, that are making simple stimulators and selling perhaps a couple of thousand of the devices per year. The economics of the situation are such that they cannot be made cheaply under such circumstances.

What is the solutions? First, I think that the field may consolidate in the coming years and a few major manufacturers will emerge as the dominant companies. These companies should be able to sell in large volume and thereby reduce the costs. Second, I think that a great deal of savings can be achieved by making flexible stimulator devices that have component parts that can operate from a single controller device. This way, one single device can then be used for multiple purposes simply by swapping components. This would enlarge the market for each device. Third, it would be useful for the consumer community to establish an organization that could rate the devices and ensure that standards are met, instead of depending on the FDA or federal agencies. After all, they do this for stereo sets and cars, why not FES devices?

Wise.

So where can I get a reference about the specifics of an electrical signal that would promote a sustained, strong, muscle contraction? What kind of exercises do I have to go with my FES unit to achieve this?

Eric Texley

My orthotist tells me "at your level, we use bail locks rather than step locks for braces."

Whatever person who though "falling" backwards and using a chair to help unlock the braces needs a brain examination. As it is I had to rig one of them up to unlock so I can sit.

And I'm absolutely, positively overbraced. No question about it.

You all are SO RIGHT! The idea that this technology hasn't evolved since FDR....I saw a video on RGOs...that's supposed to be technological advancement? Yeah, maybe in body armour.
    Eric Texley

I just got two knee immobilizers with variable articulation in the knee joints. They were $125 a piece. If these and a pair of boots will do what the braces were doing, why would I pay $3000 for a pair of braces??? The bail locks cut off circulation to my lower legs. The extra weight gives me a very good workout...

Does the brace distribute the weight of the body more uniformly than a knee immobilizer? Perhaps this wouldn't be necessary if the standard medical practice didn't wait a year post injury to start people in braces...(since the majority of bone density loss occurs in the first 6-9 months post injury)

[This message was edited by Eric Texley on Feb 24, 2002 at 07:24 AM.]

French make it easy

Well...I got my brace modifications...articulation in the knees and ancle joints.

But I had to go back to France to get it...go figure.

Eric Texley

hi have you heard of the musmate it is a sort of pully system for your legs which then fixes to your waist like a belt then a strap goes over your shoulder

b flanagan

hi where did you get your stim from my neurologist keeps sending me for physio which isnt helping. im going to end up in a wheelchair

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by etexley
    My orthotist tells me "at your level, we use bail locks rather than step locks for braces."

Whatever person who though "falling" backwards and using a chair to help unlock the braces needs a brain examination. As it is I had to rig one of them up to unlock so I can sit.

And I'm absolutely, positively overbraced. No question about it.

You all are SO RIGHT! The idea that this technology hasn't evolved since FDR....I saw a video on RGOs...that's supposed to be technological advancement? Yeah, maybe in body armour.
    Eric Texley
    ^ I get so frustrated with how much technology is available and not being put to use....... I read an article about exoskeletons being used to help troops carry 100+lb packs and being able to jump to roof tops but yet they can't get my darling wife out of her wheelchair........sorry didn't mean to get off the topic........I look forward to seeing you resolve this...

"Necessity is the mother of invention."