Thread: Wheelchair backs

Wheelchair backs

What back do you like? I have a J2 but think its to tall, when I sit I only rest my back to midback height against it.

I have a an Infinity LoBack. Once you get it set right, it's fine, but it's such a pain in the ass to adjust that I wouldn't recommend it.

Take a look at the Jay Xtreme Back and the Varilite Talon Back. If those are too small, check out the Varilite Evolution Back.

Find a wheelchair vendor that will let you try out several backs. Mine just brought two, and the other one was bulky and heavy compared to the LoBack, so that's why I went with it.

I wish I had done more research on chair backs before getting my new chair and been able to try out more backs.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I had the same effect with the J2 back I had on my first chair, kind of annoying especially the top part where the top is curved to poke you in the spine, strange design. I got away from this nonsense and went with the TiLite 'tension adjustable by straps' soft back attached to the seat posts set at 16" above the frame tubes. After a bit it conforms to your back, no poking, and a added benefit is the loss of 5 lbs of steel contraption plus the back folds totally flat when breaking the chair down.

i have found the original "sling" style to be the most comfortable. i'm thin and my back is boney and pokes deep into the cushion so the only plastic back i have tried (jay active) hurt me.

Godspeed...
    freewheelchairmission.org