Thread: Closed-System Catheters

Closed-System Catheters

For those who use them, how many does your insurance pick up per month?

Do you use Mentor or MMG/O'neil?

I use the SureCath (by Coloplast) enlcosed system: hydrophilic catheter with activating sterile saline. My prescription is for 210 units and is picked up by my insurance, Oxford Health Plans, and before them, Aetna.

Another company

Bard also makes a comparable touchless straight cath system called the Bard Touchless. A closed system would be applicable to an indwelling catheter...it means you do not ever disconnect the indwelling catheter from the drainage bag. These catheters are not closed, but are touchless (as far as inserting the catheter goes).

(KLD)

I'm not familiar with the Bard touchless system, but to the best of my knowledge the SureCath is the only system that comes with its own wetting agent (sterile saline solution) to activate the hydrophilic catheter. This is a significant advancement, in my opinion, over anything else available. The design is ingenious!!

There are many times when it's not convenient or possible to find a water source to wet your catheter. And, even if you do have access to someone's tap, what comes out is certainly not going to be sterile.

And, KLD, it's simply not true that the catheter can't be removed from the collection bag. I do this ALL the time so that I can instill my intravesicular Ditropan. You simply tug on the catheter at the funnel end and pull it apart from the collection bag. It's also much neater to empty the bag from the catheter tail end of the bag than to tear it open from the bottom.

closed-cath system

Wolverine - You had asked about the number of catheters for which insurance will reimburse. For the SCI person, who must use catheters always, these can be treated as a durable medical equipment. As such, one would need a certificate of medical necessity from the doctor to justify the medical necessity for the number, type and frequency of catheters. Uromed at http://www.umed.com/ is a urological supply company that is managed by SCI persons and has good reimbursement strategies. CRF

Stephen

You misunderstood my statement. I did not say anything about not being able to disconnect straight catheters from the touchless type drainage bag. For most of them you have to do this to empty the urine, do instillations, or for other reasons. The avoidance of disconnection of catheters applies to indwelling (sometimes called Foley) catheters from their drainage bags. This is a "closed system", not the touchless.

Keep in mind that not everyone needs a touchless or lubricious catheter nor can everyone get funding for them. Most of the touchless kits are not lubricious (this includes Bard, MMG and Mentor).

(KLD)

Steven, You have mentioned a number of times the effectiveness of the intravesicular administration of Ditropan. Could you please explain exactly how you administer this? Kathy

KDK513 -- Intravesicular Ditropan

Kathy, I've posted my protocol at least a few times here so rather than write it out again, first do a search under my name and see if you can find answers to your questions. By all means, if any questions remain I'd be more than happy to explain it you by email or by phone. Thanks, Stephen

Stephen, thank you for your kind response. I have reviewed previous posts as suggested and will recommend my husband discuss this option with his Doctor. Kathy