Thread: Very very spastic

Very very spastic

I am t-5,6 complete paraplegic and I am spastic as hell, my legs go straight and scissors whenever day can (when I sleep they fold). Until a year ago, it didnt bother me, but since I am not sitting too good in the chair and maybe I weakend because most of my energy is wasted on my architecture studies and not on sports. But I am scared to take any medicene for spasms, I mean - maybe its hard but I still have muscles working, so I am going to attack them myself? But on the other hand, it is starting to twist my body and I am afraid of that... Can I start taking medicene and then stop and everything will go back to normal. What shall I do? I end up doing nothing.....
    Iddo

Iddo,
    I think your fears about taking anti-spasmodic medicines are unfounded. Baclofen (brand name: Lioressl) is probably still the most commonly prescribed oral pill, and if it works at all for you, it's not going to have an appreicable effect on your muscle tone or overall energy levels.

I took it for over 10 years, but it never had a dramatic effect at reducing my spasms. (For no obvious reason, my spasticity has gotten much better over time.)

It's very important that you do range of motion (ROM) exercises every day, and perhaps even two or three times a day. This will relax your spasms, temporarily at least, and help to ensure that you don't develop any contractures. It's particularly important to keep your heel cords stretched to avoid "foot drop." The design of my wheelchair, a New Hall's Wheels Hallmark, helps to keep my heel cords stretched without my having to do any special exercise.

http://www.newhalls.com/campaign/mercury/index.html

The most important thing that I do to keep my spasticity manageable is doing my bowel routine EVERY DAY. This makes an enormous difference for me.

very spastic

Iddo - Stephen has offered some very good advice. Stretching and range of motion does help manage the spasticity. However, when spasticity gets to a point where it is impacting your safety, health and well-being and your skeletal structure, it is most appropriate to seek medication management.

Generally, it is recommended to start with a small dosage schedule and increase only as needed. In this way, one will be taking the least amount of medication needed to control and manage the spasticity. There are several medications being used for spasticity; baclofen is the most common but the specific medication needs to be based upon the needs and response of the individual person.

Medications can be stopped and many people do stop them for various reasons. It is important, however, that you are gradually "backed off" of the medication. CRF

A balancing act

Iddo, taking ANY medication is a decision you must make alone. It is a balancing act between what you want to accomplish and what makes you comfort. I take a lot of medications, not because the MD tells me to but because it makes my life liveable. If you cannot live with your spasms because they make your life miserable then you should take medication. It then becomes a balancing act of how much spasms and spasticity you are willing to put up with and still be able to function. I would suggest a thorough search of the internet of the meds your doctor prescribes, check out the side effects to see if you can live with them (it's a good thing to do in case you have an adverse reaction as well) then maybe try them. If you cannot function with them, TELL YOUR DOCTOR, come here and see if anyone else is taking them and what sort of things they have tried. I doubt there is a single drug prescribed for SCIs that someone on this website has not tried at one point or any another.

As the SCI Nurse has said, never just stop a medication. I spent a couple days in the hospital when I first was injured because I did and I am sure you have had your fill of being in there.

"And so it begins."