Thread: Roho Cushion x Pressure Sore

Roho Cushion x Pressure Sore

I have a person that is bringing me a Roho Quadtro Select Low Profile cushion from USA.
    I've heard that it is very good to AVOID pressure sores but in case you already have a wound, you can not use it until it is healed.
    Is it true? Why is it? What is the difference of using it or using another type of cushion when you have to sit with a wound that is not yet healed. coccix (don't know if this is the right term, hope you understand) area.
    Thank you.

sitting on sores

Fernando,
    You speak better english than I do Spanish and I'm guessing you have to sit because you're working. I think!! you mentioned a job on one of your posts. You might get lucky and heal it up while sitting on it. My sitting on a sore nearly cost me my right leg because I had to work. I know the choice your having to make is difficult.Good luck and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. WR

Well, that's true. I had to stay off work for 1 year and 4 months, mainly because of this pressure sore which was actually not caused by pressure but by a "nurse" who didn't clean a kind of soap, which was kept there from one evening to the following morning, when helping me cleaning the region after I had an incontinence accident.
    So, I had to come back to work and the doctor says there's not enough pressure on the coccix, where the sore is, so that taking daily good care and trwating it properly as indicated, it is going to get better.
    I also have the habit of taking the pressure from the butt constantly, from time to time.
    Unfortunately, one of the SCI people I know, told me this about the Roho cushion I'm buying, which I really don't understand why.
    Tks.

Fernando,
    I have been using a Roho Low profile cushion for the past 10 years and haven't had any problems with pressure sores at all. I had 2 of them previous to that, both of which got so bad that I had to have surgery. After the second surgery my surgeon advised that I use a Roho and he ordered one for me. I still wasn't allowed to sit until everything was completly healed. So I don't know if the Roho will help as far as that goes. The best thing for a pressure sore is to be off of it completely. Good luck

Pressure ulcers

Spanish would probably not do you too much good in Brazil, Whiterabbit...they speak Portuguese there!

Fernando, there is no cushion that will allow you to safely sit on a pressure ulcer. While cushions will help to prevent ulcers, they cannot do this alone. They must be combined with proper posture and wheelchair fit, frequent (at least every 15 minute) wheelchair weights shifts, twice daily skin inspection and proper nutrition.

If you already have a pressure ulcer, the only thing to do is to stay off it completely until it is healed. Even then it will be scar tissue, not normal tissue, and more vulnerable to breakdown in the future, so adding a better cushion is a help.

In my experience, coccyx sores are more likely in those who slump in their wheelchair when sitting, or from lying on your back, not from sitting. I would encourage you to stay off your buttocks entirely while it heals, working on proning (lying on your stomach) and either side with frequent turns to avoid breakdown in those areas.

Remember, the old saying:

"You can put anything on a pressure ulcer and it will heal, as long as what you put on it is not the patient"!!!

(KLD)

Seated posture and Coccyx pressure sores

If the area of pressure is caused by your seated position, then not only do you need to look at the cushion on which you are sitting, but also the posture that you assume on that cushion. The air floatation cushions, like the RoHo are less stabile in maintaining a good pelvic position, although the Low profile does address this problem to an extent. I would think it important to also look at your backrest, as this can help in maintaining a correct position in the chair with regards to slouching. Good Luck!

sorry Fernando

You speak better English than I do Portugese too. WR

Well, it is a bit better for us to understand Spanish than the opposite.
    Portuguese for Spanish speakers gets more complicated.
    Thank you all for the responses.
    I'll try to follow your tips, Nurse.
    I've already downloaded material from the site you indicated me to read as soon as I can.