Thread: what's the average body temp for a quad ???

what's the average body temp for a quad ???

im a c4-5 quadriplegic and my body temperature runs anywhere from 94.1 to 98.6. what is the average body temperature of a quad??

kort

Matt is the same level you are, Kort, and his temp is about the same, averaging probably about 97; at 98-99, we consider he has a 'fever'. If he gets down to 94, he gets the chills and can't stop shaking.

kort,

Hypothermia is associated with autonomic dysreflexia (AD). I just posted an recent abstract describing this in the SCI Research Forum.

Wise.

Body temperature

People with SCI above the mid-thoracic level are often described as poikilothermic, or cold blooded (like a reptile). There body temperature is much more influence by the environmental temperature than an AB. I remember a study I read one time that found if you put a person with a quadriplegic injury, lightly clothed, in a 70 degree F. room that eventually their body temperature will stablize at about 95-96 degrees F. We often see "normal" body temperatures in this range. On the other hand, when it is hot outside and someone comes into the clinic, we often see temperatures of 102 without an infection if the person does not have air conditioning in their car.

People with higher level SCI are more at risk for both hypothermia and hyperthermia.

(KLD)

So at what high temperature would you worry about a high level SCI? If the temp normally is around 95-96, when is it time to worry?

average body temp

jjs - It is important to know your baseline temperature and how your body responds to an elevation from this temperature. Some people can become very ill feeling with a slight elevation while for others, the temperature needs to be elevated 2 to 3 degrees to feel ill.

An elevated temperature is a warning sign as well as the body's defense mechanism against an infection. For the SCI person, especially if you are at risk for AD, it is important to find the reason for the rise in temp. The body will try to eliminate the elevated temp and can become dehydrated if fluids are not being replaced. Therefore, it is also important to push clear fluids (no caffeinated or alcoholic beverages that have a diuretic effect on the body; no milk- based products which are more difficult to digest) to replace those that are being lost with the overheating of the body. CRF

CRF. You mention pushing fluids to help the body regulate heat. I am a c8 incomplete sci and do not sweat. Heat is a problem for me. I know conventional wisdom says you should push fluids when it is hot out, but I thought that went along with replacing fluid lost as sweat. Does the theory still work if you don't sweat?
    jpw

body temperature

jpw - generally one's respiratory rate is increased with an elevated temperature and this becomes another source of losing fluids (moisture) via the exhaled air. The fact of overheating will consume fluids, as well, in the body's efforts to cool itself. So, yes, this does still apply. See: http://www.sci-info-pages.com/other_...%20Hypothermia CRF