Thread: doing your own bowels...

doing your own bowels...

For those of you that do your own bowel routine... Whether you use a special chair or the toilet, how do you reach your rectum to do a dig or insert a suppository??? I know some of you have commode chairs where you can reach around the seat of the chair to get to your hiney, but the way my chair is designed the seat is to wide (or my arms are to short) to be able to do this. I really want to start doing my own routine but haven't quite figured out the best way to go about reaching myself to do it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks... Julie

One day at a time...

Howdy!
    At home I use a raised toilet seat that just sits on the regular toilet. This gives ample room to reach my butt. When I travel I use a portable commode. I have to ensure that I am sitting a bit more to one side of it in order to have the reaching power that I need. Otherwise I'm sh*t outta luck, literally!

I use a raised, padded seat with the side cut out. It is made by Lumex and just clamps onto a regular toilet in place of the fold down seat. I use it at home and travel with it.

jpw

I hang my legs over either side of the footplate so i can reach in between my legs and do it that way. What about bending down and sort of leaning on your knees and putting your hand behind? Its trial and error, what works for me might not work for you.

Good luck.

julran -- Using an elevated toilet seat or a special commode chair with a cut out may be the way to go. As one person mentioned it is often trial and error. However, your OT or PT would be able to give you the best recommendation based on your level of injury and limitations. I suggest you contact your MD for a referral for an equipment evaluation if this has not been done already. PLG

Thanks for the suggestions... I'm just going to have to figure out the best combination of stretching and twisting needed for me... Boy, do I love the joys of living with SCI...

One day at a time...

Equipment

For some people, the cut-outs are sufficient, but for others,due to short arms, inflexible spine (or bigger butt!) they still have a hard time reaching.

In these instances the use of a digital stimulator and/or suppository inserter can be helpful even for those who have normal hand function.

Here is a resource for these:

http://www.allegromedical.com/Home/m...15238&P=187054

http://www.allegromedical.com/Home/m...15238&P=187053

(KLD)

Thanks for the idea but, my doc and therapists in rehab thought that would be a bad idea as I am a girl and have other "holes" for it to go in causing cross contamination... The doc said she didn't like to suggest devices to females. I've never wanted to take that chance since I have had problems with infections just from accidents.

One day at a time...