Thread: Paralyzed Son Coping, Police Officer's Parents Say

Paralyzed Son Coping, Police Officer's Parents Say

Paralyzed Son Coping, Police Officer's Parents Say

By Fredrick Kunkle
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, September 11, 2003; Page B04

Each word came with difficulty, and what was left unsaid spoke just as eloquently of anguish, as the parents of a Montgomery County police officer talked publicly yesterday for the first time since a shooting last month that left their son paralyzed from the chest down.

Holding hands, Ruth Ann and Warren Olinger said their son, Kyle Olinger, 37, has ridden mood swings since the shooting but also has drawn on years of martial arts training to focus his mind and body for the rigors of therapy at an out-of-state rehabilitation center.

"I think he's coping as best he can," Warren Olinger said, joining his wife and county officials at a news conference.

The Olingers, who live near Reading, Pa., also said the officer's 14-year-old son, Justin, who had been living with his father in Mount Airy after his parents' divorce, was now living with them and feeling apprehensive about the future.

They said they had felt some surprise when their strong-willed and only son -- the youngest of three children -- decided he wanted to be a police officer, back when he was a high school student in Pennsylvania. They said that they did not dwell on the risks of his job, that their son had reassured them he was well trained to handle danger.

With County Executive Douglas M. Duncan and acting Police Chief William O'Toole at their side, Olingers thanked residents of the Washington area for the support their son has received. They talked about some of the changes that have affected everyone around their son. And they spoke about the initial shock and anger at the suspects charged with the shooting.

"I hope he gets everything that's coming to him," Ruth Ann Olinger, a former high school librarian, said of the alleged shooter. "I don't want to see them walk away from this."

Kyle Olinger is receiving therapy at Craig Hospital in Denver, a rehabilitation center dedicated to patients with spinal chord and traumatic brain injuries.

He was shot in the neck shortly after midnight Aug. 13 after stopping a vehicle with three occupants at Spring Street and Second Avenue in Silver Spring. Two of the occupants -- Terrence A. Green, 18, of Mount Rainier, and Fadi Kadamani, 20, of no fixed address -- are being held on charges of attempted first-degree murder and other offenses. A third occupant of the car has not been charged. Police say that Green was the gunman and that he and Kadamani had been planning to rob a drug dealer.

At the news conference yesterday, O'Toole tallied some of the community's contributions to defray the long-term financial costs Olinger faces. He singled out Jack Fitzgerald, owner of Fitzgerald Auto Mall, for giving $25,000, and he told of a woman who took a taxi to headquarters recently to present $20 in cash for the fund.

In Silver Spring, he said, one apparently homeless woman approached an officer from Olinger's district and offered $1.90 to the fund, saying it was all she had.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Great

I'm meeting with Kyle and family on Thursday next week.

I'll be sure to tell him about CC.

Rock on, CD

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray