Thread: musician needing instrument adapataion ideas

musician needing instrument adapataion ideas

Gday, I'm new to this with a recent SCI at T4. I played Baritone sax, flute/piccolo and piano before all this happened and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or sites or contacts for adaptaing equipment to allow me to keep playing, particularly the sax.

Hi,
    I don't play the sax but I play violin, cello and piano. With cello it was pretty easy to keep playing because you're sitting down anyway. I just make sure to get into a comfortable chair, usually a dining room table chair, with a soft seat and a high back. Same with violin. At first it was a bit weird positioning the cello but I got the hang of it. With the piano, I find that putting the bench a bit lower makes it easier to play. I wish I could offer you better advice other than getting a comfortable regular chair to plunk yourself in
    morrigan

Originally posted by nik:

Gday, I'm new to this with a recent SCI at T4. I played Baritone sax, flute/piccolo and piano before all this happened and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or sites or contacts for adaptaing equipment to allow me to keep playing, particularly the sax.

What problems are you encountering w/ the sax in the 1st place? At T4 you've got full hand fxn, which is the only thing I can think of that'd be a problem otherwise.

Count your blessings. I'm injured @ C6/7 & would absolutely love to play guitar [again], but the quad hand thing hinders that... I've thought about my options before... maybe a harmonica now? haha... who knows.

Scott,
    I apologize in advance if this an ignorant statement but have you thought about a lap slide guitar .
    ie a "Dobro" or "weisenborn" like Ben Harper plays.

no need to apologize... I thought about a Dobro (I really like Jerry Douglas' stuff), but it still requires picking & my fingers aren't that good.

Maybe I'm too picky about the styles I like (less strumming, & more intricate stuff). I suppose I could try something & see what happens... never know...

thanks!

can see the issue of playin a sax while in a wheelchair, especially a baritone. where to put the big ol thing? if your butt can take sittin in a different chair that has open sides with no wheels in the way, may be your only option. holding in front may cause balance issues if you don't have ab control. transfers shouldn't be too difficult at t4, i'm same and figured out ways to hold guitar for hours at a time without spasms and stuff bothering me, both in wc and out.

I did find a link to this one man, who plays tenor and clarinet.

http://www.bertwilson.com/index.htm

From his site, you can contact him and I bet he would be more than willing to help you out. I am sure there are more, and I will ask my brother too he knows all that stuff.

Mary

Thanks for your ideas!

Scott, The prob is really the balance and obvously the wheels in the way and stuff.

Twisted -
    I'm a T4 and have not found cello playing easy to continue since my SCI. Din Rm chair seat (as are most seats) is too deep for the back to offer any support and I fear dropping the instrument when I wobble like a weeble. Is your injury level what is making the difference?