Thread: sudden drop in body temperature ...does anyone have this ?

sudden drop in body temperature ...does anyone have this ?

my body temperature dropped to 87.9 over night and stayed this way for a couple of day's so i was put in the hospital for observation. after a week and a half i was sent home with no answers ... anyway my doc did a veinogram and it showed a small blood clot in my hip! could this have been the cause ?

kort

hypothermia

Kort -- Maybe Dr. Wise Young can give you a better answer on this one. My thought is there was obviously some autonomic dysfunction leading to altered temperature regulation going on. The clot at your hip could have possibly been an irritant but I have not heard of this situation before. Did you have other symptoms to suggest the need for a venogram to rule out DVT? PLG

hypothermia

i had sluggish speech and memory loss along with the temperature drop, but what is DVT?

kort -- The memory and speech deficits were a result of the hypothermic effects on your brain. DVT means deep venous thrombosis or a clot lodged in a vein. How did they discover the clot in your hip? Did you have any symptoms of swelling below that hip? PLG

blood clot

yes my left leg was slightly bigger than my right leg.

Yes Kort, I have also had this problem. I don't know how much text I can enter here but I will try to give my background.
    I am 42 year old female, with a 16+ year, c 4-5 sci. My normal temp is usually around 94-95 degrees until 3 yrs. ago while doing the Atkins’ diet. At the time my symptoms included memory loss, slurred speech, excessive night time urine output, fatigue, trouble waking up in the morning, snoring, and very deep sleep with vivid dreams. I would have trouble distinguishing the difference between my dreams and reality. At it’s worst, I began hallucinating, became paranoid, and started lying about everything, especially my condition. Because of this I spent the winter in and out of 4 different hospitals without being able to find out what was wrong. There were many diagnoses. I might have known that I was being treated for hypothermia, but my aids never did (because I lied and hated the hospitals) until the spring when I was scheduled to have a bone marrow draw (to try to figure out what was wrong) that couldn’t be drawn due to a temp of 88 degrees.
    I only remember bits and pieces of all of this. Prednisone was prescribed by my Endo towards the end of that winter and I have had one fairly symptom free winter since.
    In October I was hospitalized again for a few days for hypothermia. Since then the symptoms have been less frequent, but still there. I’ve been covering up by lying about some of it or I don’t recognize them. My temp has been very low most of the winter, roughly every 3-5 days it drops to the point of not registering for 1-3 days and comes back up to around 93-94 degrees. I take my temp every morning and before bed and at times we take it before breakfast and after I get up. In a 2 hour span it can drop 1-3 degrees. I keep my apartment at 72-73 degrees and cover my legs with a blanket so that can’t be the reason. I don’t think I can handle another winter like this. I’m afraid of the damage this may be causing my body. I am currently under the care of my G.P., Endocrinologist (for hypothyroidism, taking Levoxyl, all levels looking good) and just recently a Physiatrist, and they all seem to be at a loss. My recent blood work shows slightly abnormal liver functions, not bad enough to be causing this much trouble, but a common trait in all my blood work off and on since this began. My Endo suggested setting up an appointment with a Neurologist next because she doesn’t know what else to do.
    If anyone out there has a clue as to what is causing this and what I can do to prevent it, please help me. Thanks.

My mother has same exact symtoms

She has been in the hospital for 3 weeks. Symptoms sound exactly the same. Any updates or answers on your side? The docs at Cleveland clinic are stumped. No idea which way to turn next. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bgdi50 View Post
    Yes Kort, I have also had this problem. I don't know how much text I can enter here but I will try to give my background.
    I am 42 year old female, with a 16+ year, c 4-5 sci. My normal temp is usually around 94-95 degrees until 3 yrs. ago while doing the Atkins’ diet. At the time my symptoms included memory loss, slurred speech, excessive night time urine output, fatigue, trouble waking up in the morning, snoring, and very deep sleep with vivid dreams. I would have trouble distinguishing the difference between my dreams and reality. At it’s worst, I began hallucinating, became paranoid, and started lying about everything, especially my condition. Because of this I spent the winter in and out of 4 different hospitals without being able to find out what was wrong. There were many diagnoses. I might have known that I was being treated for hypothermia, but my aids never did (because I lied and hated the hospitals) until the spring when I was scheduled to have a bone marrow draw (to try to figure out what was wrong) that couldn’t be drawn due to a temp of 88 degrees.
    I only remember bits and pieces of all of this. Prednisone was prescribed by my Endo towards the end of that winter and I have had one fairly symptom free winter since.
    In October I was hospitalized again for a few days for hypothermia. Since then the symptoms have been less frequent, but still there. I’ve been covering up by lying about some of it or I don’t recognize them. My temp has been very low most of the winter, roughly every 3-5 days it drops to the point of not registering for 1-3 days and comes back up to around 93-94 degrees. I take my temp every morning and before bed and at times we take it before breakfast and after I get up. In a 2 hour span it can drop 1-3 degrees. I keep my apartment at 72-73 degrees and cover my legs with a blanket so that can’t be the reason. I don’t think I can handle another winter like this. I’m afraid of the damage this may be causing my body. I am currently under the care of my G.P., Endocrinologist (for hypothyroidism, taking Levoxyl, all levels looking good) and just recently a Physiatrist, and they all seem to be at a loss. My recent blood work shows slightly abnormal liver functions, not bad enough to be causing this much trouble, but a common trait in all my blood work off and on since this began. My Endo suggested setting up an appointment with a Neurologist next because she doesn’t know what else to do.
    If anyone out there has a clue as to what is causing this and what I can do to prevent it, please help me. Thanks.
    I have pretty severe hashimotos disease from my thyroid, sounds similar to me and I know mine is way off right now because I am losing so any words, which is a huge sign to me as well as severe drop in my thyroid. This might be interesting to you. I was put on Levoxyl when I was first diagnosed around 12 years ago, and even though my numbers looked right on TSH and total T4 I felt no better. I was completely confused. I found a new endo, and she switched me to synthroid and only brand name and it was like a miracle, after about 4 weeks as that is how long it takes to saturate the body, I felt great. The problem was the filler that the Levoxyl is made with. My body did not absorb it, and since the hormone binds to it I was not absorbing the hormone either. Just something to ask your endo if you haven't tried this yet. Hope this Helps as I know how hopeless it can make you feel. It took me 2 years to get on the proper hormone and no generics for e, only brand name synthroid is all I can take that works. Also have you had the antibody tgab, and for graves which is tpo antibodies? I have both and it's maxing how they can flip symptoms back and forth so quickly if you have the auto immune diseases of the thyroid. Have you had a ultrasound for nodules of your thyroid as well? I hope something here can help that maybe haven't been checked, please keep us updated xoxo (((HUGS)))
    BobbieLee
    SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009

Oops meant severe drop in temp, not thyroid lol, that is what I mean about my words :-)
    BobbieLee
    SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009

Thanks for the quick reply! I will share this with her doctor.
    Last edited by bigdarren; 04-24-2013 at 09:28 AM.