Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: WHICH PAIN MEDS ARE USED IN THE CC COMMUNITY AND WHY: not another boring poll

WHICH PAIN MEDS ARE USED IN THE CC COMMUNITY AND WHY: not another boring poll

Of personal need, and hopefully to the benefit to others...what testimonials can be shared for proven immediate, SEVEREand BREAKTHROUGHneuropathic pain relief.
    Personally, I found only breakthrough pain relief to be the only effective pain relief. I believe I quickly build tolerance to time-release painkillers. However, my unwillingness to give up the only thing I find relief with I'm sure is not helping either.
    If the varied means of pain relief are separated between categories of:
    a)physical- accupuncture, physical therapy.
    b)medicinal marijuana
    c)painkillers narcotic
    d)painkillers non-narcotic

Which do you find effective for immediaterelief when the pain demon comes-a-knockin'?

any and all responses are appreciated

i have used all of the above.
    it really depends on the pain, anti inflammatory help when i have localized pain in lumbar due to stenosis and spine instability. they do not work for my neuropathic pain.
    acupuncture worked well to lower my neuropathic pain, but after 2 years 2 x a week, i had to find a less time consuming and independent method.
    percocet and ultram luckily work well for me for now for breakthrough pain. a couple years back i was also taking 3200 mg of neurontin 4x800 a day and with the 10 or 20 mg amitriptyline in evening, acupuncture and ultram, my pain was effectively managed.
    i am down to 10 mg a night of amitriptyline (8pm)
    and that helps quite a bit,
    also taking zanaflex 4mg in evening before sleep and sometimes another 4mg if i wake up with pain at in middle of night. i have found that since i started the zanaflex again sometimes i can do without the percocet at night.
    i also have a spinal cord stim implanted that is helping a lot, but still needs to be fine tuned for better coverage of distal pain area.

I wear a duragesic patch which so far has pretty well covered my pain, If I do have break through I still use 7.5 Lortabs. I have not use any of those for 6 month's But My Dr. did have to up my patch from a 25 to a 50 micrgram, for tailbone area pain. SOmetimes there is Nothing that help's it.

Thanks, are any of the..
    negative effects of narcotics experienced as the result of the patch? I use fentanyl big time via Actiq for it's quick acting help. I don't know of anything else, besides injection that acts as quick. Is there?

No other effective pain meds out there? I'm beginning to freak. Or, maybe the mission of this forum is waning?

do any of the antiseizure meds like neurontin give you any relief? when my pain was at its worse the narcotics i had werent helping, however once i started neurontin and got stabilized on it , the other meds were much more effective

" once i started neurontin and got stabilized on it , the other meds were much more effective"[/QUOTE]

Metro, this is one of the most interesting posts I have read. I am going to try this approach. I have been assuming one pain/one medicine, but your approach seems to address one of my favorite topics, sensitization. If I understand you, you are saying once the neurontin got whatever it was helping under control, even when neurontin itself became less effective, it made the other meds more effective.

Do I have this correct? If so, it may be we need two things, one to reduce sensitization phenomena, and another to address pain directly. By comparison, I found moving to a cooler ambient temperature made my other meds work better. After reading your post, I wonder maybe two different mechanisms, although it seems like just one.

Thanks again for the thoughtful observation. If anyone can think their way through this condition, I believe it will be you.

hi dejerine,
    my pain doc had explained to me how the 3 main meds work better in a synergistic effect than individually, also lower doses for each than individually , hence more livable side effects. it took me a while before i bought into it , i like most had the notion that taking a lot of meds was bad, however when the pain spiraled out of control, i did as the doctor recommended. i believe it also takes about 2 weeks to get the blood levels for the meds like neurontin and tricyclics anti depressants t get their full effect.
    i remember a a post or a link to research from dr young in one of these forums stating that the combination effects effect of the anti seizure ,tricyclic and pain med working the best for neuropathic pain.

Metro: based on your thinking, how could I establish if whether the cocktail of fentanyl (lolipop 400, 4-6dose/day, not duro), and neurontin (btw I take 1,600 mg/day) could be conflictual, or not?

i dont think its conflictual,
    your pain managment doc should be monitioring your pain levels , 1600 mg a day of neurontin is quite low for central pain, i was on double that.
    i started out at 300 a day amd worked up to 3200 a day as my body acclimated to it. plus i took 10m to 20 mg of amitripalyine at night around 8pm, than i took meds for breakthrough pain when i had it