Thread: implantable spinal Stim pump next

implantable spinal Stim pump next

after The holidays probably first week in January i hope it works

[This message was edited by metronycguy on 12-18-04 at 09:52 AM.]

A pump, or a spinal cord stimulator? I had a stimulator for a year from '86-'87. The stimulator position in my spine was revised three times. It never provided any pain relief in any part of my body.

Do they do a test first, to see if it helps, before doing the permanent implant?

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

a stimulator, yes they do a test where they have leads hanging out of me for like a week.. there are also different methods of leads placement also, spinal cord or peripheral nerves,
    mine is going to be difficult due to most of my pain is in my distal area the foot.

I am not sure about other types of pain, but I had a trial for burning pain without much success. The problem I had was that since the burning extends from my hips down to the bottom of my feet, placing the leads in an area of the spinal canal that would give me much relief was not possible.

mike

i guess since the sympathetic nerve blocks , worked pretty well, the stim hopefully will work
    time will tell

Glad to here you will get some relief from the stim. I might go for a trial for my low back pain, however it's unfortunate that it won't do anything for my abdomen. I'm very pleased to here that it will help you

hopefully . hopefully. i do not get my expectations too high..the lead placement could be tricky, and also since the pain in is mainly in the foot and big toe,toes, very distal it is supposed to be harder to make work, also it is not going to take care of all the pain..

Originally posted by RSheckells:

Glad to here you will get some relief from the stim. I might go for a trial for my low back pain, however it's unfortunate that it won't do anything for my abdomen. I'm very pleased to here that it will help you
    Maybe a pain pump with the catheter placed high in your spine would help?

Alan

I'm so desperate, I actually e-mailed my pain doc to ask about a pump test (with dilaudid.) I asked him if he'd even be able to thread the catheter up to my neck with my spine as curved as it is. He's out of the office for a while due to shoulder surgery, but eventually he should reply.

Meanwhile, my regular doc is trying to find out when our pharmacy will be getting Palladone (long-acting dilaudid), so we can try it. I need something - damn burning and "lumps" are too much.

Alan